Buy, Sell, Trade Genesis 3000 LX find

AaronS

Good morning all!

I bought a new house back in December of 2015. Having lived in a basement apartment, and then the second story of a duplex, the only grill I've ever owned was a Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Portable Grill2Go. Amazingly, this thing was pretty good at cooking up a steak or two, but the cleanup, waiting for it to cool, and then storing it until the next time, was a royal pain. Since I had a new place to live with an awesome deck right off the dining room, I was set on getting a full size grill. I guess I should mention that the reason I bought the house was that I was expecting my first kid, so we couldn't live in an upstairs 1 bedroom apartment. Because of that, money was a bit tight, so I figured that buying a used grill off of Cragislist or any of the Facebook BST groups would be my best bet. Luckily, or now unluckily, I found a Char-Broil grill a few miles away for a good price ($40). It was a stainless steel body, but the racks and flame covers were not in good shape. Once I got that home, I cleaned everything up as best I could and used the crap out of that sucker. The problem was that only the middle back portion of the grill got hot enough to sear the steaks the way I like. Food items on the outside or front part of the grill took FOREVER to get to the correct temp. In short, this thing was a waste of $40, and a waste of the 2-3 tanks of propane I put through it. I should have just bought something decent right away.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago. I go to light the old beater Char-Broil and she is out of propane. I had initially thought I should just go to the local place and get a tank fill, but after being thoroughly peeved at the thought of using this thing for another year, I decided to get a grill I could depend on. I should also mention here that my deck has two natural gas hookups at either end, and I was bound and determined to find something that would let me utilize those. So the search began. I had known that Weber was a great grill, but assumed they would always be out of my price range. I was seeing new natural gas Genesis grills for way more than I had planned to spend, so I figured I might as well see if I could find something used. I am assuming most of you out there don't have natural gas hookups, so the chances of finding a used grill that was setup for that was slim. I checked Craigslist in a 100 mile radius of where I lived and the only things out there that I found that had natural gas hookups were new unused Weber's. With my budget, that definitely wouldn't have worked. I then turned to the Facebook Buy, Sell, Trade groups. The first local group I searched on showed a natural gas Genesis 3000 LX for $200, but the post was from back in February...so no way that thing was still available. I did my duty and sent a message anyway, on the off chance I got lucky. Sure enough, she messaged me back that she still had it, so I knew I could get it much cheaper than her asking price. I ended up offering $150, and she countered with $160, and I figured that was fair since it looked to be in really great shape.

I tried to go get it that night, but due to her work schedule I wasn't able to get it. I have my daughter 3 days a week, so arranging pickup was going be a difficult task with a 2 year old. Luckily she really wanted rid of it, so she offered to have her boyfriend drop it off to me, which was awesome! I gave them an extra $10 for delivery since it was only about 3 miles from my house.

So here she is: 1998 Weber Genesis 3000 LX

vSkKiwU.jpg

GUH9mB9.jpg

mJofdHu.jpg

I tested her out last weekend connected to my gas supply, and I was having a bit of trouble with the burner that ignites first, so I'll need to clean the holes in it as soon as I can. I just got my shipment of SS flavorizer bars and SS grill grates from gasgrills.com yesterday. Now I just need to clean out the firebox, gas tubes, check the frame a bit closer, and and get the grime and grit off of it.

I'm excited, but I won't be able to work on it until after Mothers Day as I have a big beer festival I'm heading to next weekend.

I'll update this thread as I progress.

Thanks for checking it out!

I have an older version of that grill, in natural gas thanks to some folks on here, that I converted from propane. I love it. I've had it for about two years, and I'm NEVER going back to cheapo grills. You're going to love that grill!

I ended up turning mine into a "2000" as I never used the side burner, so I made a table for where it sits in the frame.

That is a great grill, you're going to love it!

Slainte!

Great find and an awesome grill you will be very happy with that. I bought a new 1000 LX in 1999 and still have it. Last year I picked up a 3000 and converted it to a 2000 and put my 1000 grill into the frame.
Load up some pics when you get it done.

That's a nice grill. It will be a good investment of your time and $$$$. Look though here and you'll find all kind of good tips. It's a FAR better grill than the Chinese stuff Weber is passing off now (they have gone to the dark side). I see too you have the rotisserie bracket on it. Hopefully the PO gave you the rotisserie setup with the grill. If so you're REALLY going to love it for that. Those grills are the BEST for it. Light years better than anything with front mounted (N/S burners) unless they have a rotisserie burner. The N/S type simply over cook the ends of the food and leave the middle under done. The old type like yours gives nice even heat across the entire surface. (just did a succulent leg of lamb on my dad's 3000 this past Wednesday) and BTW that side burner is NOT useless as so many here think. I make GREAT use of them. Look for any of my posts where I refer to rust preventive coatings and such. If you take that thing apart down to the frame(s) order them and use them. It will help the grill last for a lifetime. You'll be handing that grill down to your daughter as I recently did with mine to the daughter and son in law for their new house

I'll grab some new pics tonight. I totally got too excited after putting in the new stainless flavorizer bars and grates to take a picture of them. They are, not surprisingly, covered in baked on food now.

Update pictures (sort of)!

I scrubbed the whole thing down with Simple Green and installed the grates and flavorizer bars. That was about 3 weeks ago, and I've been grilling on it almost every night.

Z6ZkSpD.jpg

QsoszmN.jpg

Beautiful grill. It's just amazing the difference between a weber (new or old) and the crummy stuff put out out by char broil, kenmore, and members mark isn't it?

what color is that?

What a great grill! Hope you really enjoy for many years. It looks like the color is maroon, maybe could be called burgundy or even “crimson”. Looks like one that I stripped off flat black spray paint to reveal such a cool color. See my posts about “The crazy things people do to their grills” and “red vs. maroon, the mystery solved”.

Your grill cleaned up really nice and with the new parts will blow away any big box store fake stainless junkers they push off by the scores. You can take justifiable pride in making a way better choice;)!

Back