Genesis 1100 Restoration

Alan T

TVWBB Member
So this will serve as a "work in progress" thread. I was able to source a decent (but VERY dirty) Genesis 1000 red lid from a really nice guy in State College, PA (about 2 1/2 drive from where I live in Pittsburgh)

Here's the "before" shot of the lid:
AvqzU1p.jpg

And "after" with 0000 steel wool and simple green:
jGGdR57.jpg

I deconstructed my 1100 this past weekend, and sourced what was salvageable from the other 1100 from the guy in State College. The cart was totally rusted out... so much so that when you lifted the lid, the entire firebox swayed and felt like it was going to go crashing through the cart. I saved the firebox, some of the wooden grates, wheels, control panel and other miscellaneous, bolts, screws, etc. The grates and flavorizer bars were toast. Going to look into getting the firebox and end caps for the lid media blasted to have a blank canvas to paint. I'll try using simple green to degrease the firebox and see how well that works first. If that proves to be futile, then I'll go the blasting route. Thoughts?

Nice lid! Simple Green is usually my second step when cleaning the firebox...I usually start with plain old blue Dawn dish soap. It cuts the grease well, especially when paired with a wire brush and pint scraper.

I meant inside the fire box. Don't do that on the outside, lol. I guess I didn't read your post all that well. I think media blasting is a cool idea.

Last edited:
Apparently I'm not meant to have a clean red head lid to restore. While trying to clean the inside of it today, the wind caught it and knocked it over while I had stepped away (for less than 20 seconds) and took two huge chunks out of the porcelain enamel on the lid and dented it. I am just sick to think that a perfectly good lid is now ruined.

O4QSS9J.jpg

Last edited:
So if anyone on here has a clean donor red-head lid they're willing to part with, please let me know. :(

Seems it's like the kettles where there is a black porcelin coating underneath the red. At least it won't rust

Seems it's like the kettles where there is a black porcelin coating underneath the red. At least it won't rust

Oh, it will rust. Believe me. The other one I had had a small chip on the edge in front of the handle and it definitely rusted.

My renovated genesis A that a neighbor put at the curb has a chip in the middle of the porcelain hood. It was rusting when I got it (on the chip). I sanded the rust a bit, put rust converter on it and then dabbled high theme paint on it. It's been a year and a half and the rust hasn't come back. The chip area is still somewhat noticeable but the grill is still perfectly functional.

So if anyone on here has a clean donor red-head lid they're willing to part with, please let me know. :(

I'm not sure (have to look under my deck) but IIRC I have a pretty decent (end caps are kind of shabby as is the wooden handle) red lid that I can let go. Maybe $15.00 plus the shipping. PM me if interested and I'll investigate

That's a bummer. That lid was looking pretty good! I've got a tiny chip on the back of mine. That being on the front would be hard to put up with probably. I've got a chip on my kettle lid from dropping it. That really bummed me out. I just used some high heat paint on it. Kettle lids are pretty easy to come by but mine is more about sentimental attachment.

I'm not sure (have to look under my deck) but IIRC I have a pretty decent (end caps are kind of shabby as is the wooden handle) red lid that I can let go. Maybe $15.00 plus the shipping. PM me if interested and I'll investigate

Tried PMing you, but received a message that said your mailbox quota was full. I might be interested if you could snap some pics. Thanks!

That's a bummer. That lid was looking pretty good! I've got a tiny chip on the back of mine. That being on the front would be hard to put up with probably. I've got a chip on my kettle lid from dropping it. That really bummed me out. I just used some high heat paint on it. Kettle lids are pretty easy to come by but mine is more about sentimental attachment.

The chip actually was worse ... It ended up being about the size of a half-dollar ... more pieces flaked off. I ended up chucking it in the dumpster at my office. It was really deep. I ended up finding a green lid though! It's not red, but still very decent. I still like the red, but I'm holding out for another one. Going to proceed on my rebuild with the green lid for now. Need to take the endcaps and firebox to the media blasting place next week.

p5OOO52.jpg

Last edited:
Alan,
I cut off my two retaining clips with a pair of side cutters and went to the hardware store for some new retaining clips.

Jeff

Tried PMing you, but received a message that said your mailbox quota was full. I might be interested if you could snap some pics. Thanks!

Try now, include an email address that I can attach a file to and I'll be happy to drop and email to you. Pictures here drive me nuts. I'll try to dig it out. For the emblem BTW I use a small side cutter (wire cutter) and a screw driver to work those little clips off. Rework the emblem then I use high temp (just a small dab or two) of silicone RTV gasket maker for engines. Put the emblem back on with it I have never had a problem doing this. You'll see all kinds of people trying to save or replace those stupid little clips. Fuggedaboudit not worth the trouble

Alan,
I cut off my two retaining clips with a pair of side cutters and went to the hardware store for some new retaining clips.

Jeff

Try now, include an email address that I can attach a file to and I'll be happy to drop and email to you. Pictures here drive me nuts. I'll try to dig it out. For the emblem BTW I use a small side cutter (wire cutter) and a screw driver to work those little clips off. Rework the emblem then I use high temp (just a small dab or two) of silicone RTV gasket maker for engines. Put the emblem back on with it I have never had a problem doing this. You'll see all kinds of people trying to save or replace those stupid little clips. Fuggedaboudit not worth the trouble

Thanks for the tips! I'll try that. Definitely want to get it all cleaned up around there. End caps need to come off next.

My current grill is the maroon colored lid, and I had reattached the emblem with high temperature RTV as advised, but my question now is, if I ever want to remove the emblem, how can I do that?

Back