Pork Burnt Ends

I enjoy these videos, but I've failed at BEs with boneless pork twice.

I smoke it to 170F and foil it with BBQ sauce and it always comes out like jerky instead of tender and juicy.

Hmmm local supermarket has pork shoulder for $.97 a pound again, think I'll take a little ride get one and give it a try.

Hadn't seen this before. Looks like something I'd try
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5oj5-k3IRg

At 6:50 of the video, he mentions "burping" the kettle to release the old stale smoke every couple of hours. Very interesting, I was taught (from this forum) to be patient and not remove the WSM dome once the smoking starts. With the vent open, there is a continuous flow of smoke and he seems to be just losing temp using up more lump.

I will have to try this. It seems you can use the double cook method on any primal cuts. I bet this would work well with chuck roast as well. :)

Like many things, the secret to great burnt ends is fat. Brisket burnt ends from the point and pork burnt ends from the belly. The video that Reggie posted should be XXX-rated for being the best most excellentest way to cook pork belly.

Jeff

Like many things, the secret to great burnt ends is fat. Brisket burnt ends from the point and pork burnt ends from the belly. The video that Reggie posted should be XXX-rated for being the best most excellentest way to cook pork belly.

Jeff

bad part is I tried that recipe the other day and ruined them. I didn't put enough juice in the second round and it all congealed and burnt dang it

At 6:50 of the video, he mentions "burping" the kettle to release the old stale smoke every couple of hours. Very interesting, I was taught (from this forum) to be patient and not remove the WSM dome once the smoking starts. With the vent open, there is a continuous flow of smoke and he seems to be just losing temp using up more lump.

I will have to try this. It seems you can use the double cook method on any primal cuts. I bet this would work well with chuck roast as well. :)

I have never heard that term before, but I constantly 'burp' my smoke ALL THE TIME... I am constant checker... But the food quality never suffers as there usually is NONE remaining..

Back