Smokey Joe Yakiniku Table

George L

TVWBB All-Star
I'm currently building a yakiniku (or Korean BBQ) table out of an old steel patio table and one of my Smokey Joes.
I'm using the SJP only as a template for now. I will be using my standard SJ with bottom vent for the table.

Somewhat hard to tell but there is a 1.5" tall steel collar ring where the SJ is sitting on. That collar will be welded to the table. It will also reinforce the table. The SJ can still be pulled out for cleaning or whatever.

The cooking grate will be a round, Japanese style wire grate, just under 15" diameter which will sit on lip of the SJ.

More pics to follow as it progresses...

BBQ.table.3_zpslb2vpljb.jpg

How inventive !!!
Is the table radius short enough for folks to reach and cook while sitting?
Also, will the heat of the coals and Weber transfer to the table?

Same thing crossed my mind Walt, will the expanded metal top endure the heat and how much will it transfer to ones frosty beverage? I actually really like the idea though. Maybe small wooden insulators?

Thanks for the comments!

Actually, insulation and heat transfer were the very things I thought about when I decided to use the metal table. Initially, I was going to build a wooden table from scratch, creating an air space and using ceramic insulation material between the SJ and the tabletop. But since we already had 3 of these metal patio tables in the back yard I decided to go with the metal table for this project. And less work too...

The other day I actually fired the SJ with a full load of coals (overloaded, actually) to see how much heat would transfer onto the table. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. Only a couple or three of inches around the perimeter of the grill got hot, but never to the point where you couldn't lay your hand on it. In fact, in actual use the coals will be confined in a coal basket the diameter of the charcoal grate, therefore the outer perimeter (cool zone) of the grill shouldn't get as hot. I will weld a strip of expanded metal around the charcoal grate.

The diameter of the table is 42" so the distance from table edge to grill edge is only a 14" reach, pretty much comparable to most Japanese or Korean grill tables I've cooked on.

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention. I will add an expanded metal surround underneath the table around the grill bottom for safety.

When I seen grill laid down in the table I thought maybe the heat would be no more than a few inches considering the table top is made of expanded metal ..There's no where for the heat to transfer too with all the open space and air way flowing through the table.... I think a open checkered beveled type of wood would look kller but that's a lot of work.. Or a beveled ring would be just as cool mostly if there be a way of doing it in bamboo.

Last edited:
Well, I can't wait to get this thing finished. I'm going to add a second layer of steel ring to the collar, perhaps only 1/2 in height. That will give me extra thickness and more room to weld the expanded metal tabletop to the collar.

Although this table will be out in the open patio I'm also thinking about smoke management. I don't want smoke blowing into our faces. I've got some ideas already.

Woohoo! Thank you for the answers to my questions.

As far as smoke management, 2 fans (desktop internal fans) on the opposite sides of the grill would hopefully make the smoke go straight up.

Now, let's see some pictures ;).

I welded the collar to the table this morning. I just need to grind off the bits of expanded metal and the SJ will drop in real snugly.

BBQ.table.4_zpsvdvf302e.jpg

This is just such a cool project! I wish I had any welding skills at all, or a welder, or a welder buddy that wasn't an hour and a half away!

This is just such a cool project! I wish I had any welding skills at all, or a welder, or a welder buddy that wasn't an hour and a half away!

I had absolutely zero welding skills when I picked up an el cheapo Harbor Freight 80 amp stick welder. I had to fix gate hinges and wrought iron fences around the house. Since then I've worked on a number of small welding projects, including my 36" long yakitori grill.

Being silly here but you could make a setup like they do in korean restaurants. It's a vent that you can pull down near the grill to suck up the smoke and then it lifts up when not needed. I always thought that was rather cool.

I Was thinking the same thing George, Some sorta updraft fan that can be moved in and out of place as needed.

Back