WSM newbie - temperature control

Paul M

TVWBB Member
Hi All, just got a WSM 47cm (18.5"). :)

First cook, only spread enough briquettes to cover the grate, and filled the bowl with cold water. Couldn't get my WSM up to temperature and had to add more fuel. Second cook, filled the grate to the rim, and put hot water in the bowl, and the temperature went off the scale. So guess I need to go somewhere in between. Read up here on this forum, so got some tips and invested in a Maverick 733. The meat I cooked, brisket and pork shoulder weren't too bad actually, perhaps a bit dry.

Doing some more trial runs, before a family get together in a few weeks time, no pressure :wsm:

I fill the charcoal up as much as possible, then remove 20 coals from the center. They get lit in the chimney, then I pour them into the hole. Adjust the vents correctly, and that gives me eight hours of fairly steady temperatures. I usually fill the bowl with hot water, but I've used cold water as well, and there really wasn't much difference. I think the key is to start with the correct number of lit coals. That sets the tempo for many hours.

I fill the charcoal up as much as possible, then remove 20 coals from the center. They get lit in the chimney, then I pour them into the hole. Adjust the vents correctly, and that gives me eight hours of fairly steady temperatures. I usually fill the bowl with hot water, but I've used cold water as well, and there really wasn't much difference. I think the key is to start with the correct number of lit coals. That sets the tempo for many hours.

Good tip re the charcoal, I'll try that next time.

V is using the Minion Method. It works well, but your main concern will be adjusting the vents properly.

Start the fire with the vents at 100% open then when it gets to 200F it's time to cut off some of the air. Setting them all at 50% will starve the fire of oxygen and lower the temp near to the range you want.

You should also get a spray bottle and use it to keep the meat from drying out. After the first 2-3 hours on the smoker you can spritz the meat every 1/2 to 1 hour. The quicker get in there and close the lid the better. There are a lot of recommended mixtures, but I still use apple cider vinegar/apple juice at 50/50% because it's simple and won't spoil (in the fridge).

Thanks for the spray tip Bill, doing small piece of brisket now. Its my second one, using small pieces as a trial run before a family get together. Won't matter if I balls it up, plus only me and the missus!

I hear you. I smoked 2 butts and 2 racks of baby backs on Thursday...and there's only 2 of us. But I knew family will be dropping in since we have a wedding happening tomorrow.

All leftovers go into vacuumed sealed bags and the freezer. What's nice about that is the ease of reheating the meat. I put the frozen bags in a pot of cold water and boil them for 5-10 minutes (depending on the size of the bag or if it was thawing already). It also keeps the juices from getting lost during reheating.

Our brisket was a bit tuff, will go into a chilli. Onward & upward to the next one. Learning curve. ;)

FYI. Tough brisket is underdone.

Yep just finding my feet. The first one I did without probe thermometer, it came out nicely done, but a bit dry. Second one I've I used my Maverick. It came not so dry, but bit under done. Stopped cooking when it's temperature hit 71'c (160f). Having another go, later this week. Never eaten so much red meat!

What ChrisBarb said !

In BBQ, we cook past Doness to Tenderness. While the meat was technically Done at that 71c (160f), continued cooking was needed until it reached Tenderness.

Since the products we cook are not as quality controlled as are other food types, temperatures given are not exact and are to be only used as guidelines.

Last edited:
Paul, you will be fine, this is a good place for more information than is generally felt safe for human consumption but, the members here are not limited by their humanity but by barbecue/grilling prowess!
I'm not an old hand with a WSM but, with some help I've had success with everything I have tried!
I use a method that a fellow member calls "The Sidewinder Minion method" which he has admitted he got from Enrico Brandizzi (another member, Genius, BTW).
Basically fill the well, keep a small hollow on one side for placement of the lit (20) coals nod the fire will creep across the field for quite some time, I have run 7-8 hours at 250(ish) using this method. My first brisket was a 13 hour cook with only one recharge so, I'm pretty well pleased with that technique, I make the "hot spot" right at the door so subsequent recharging is easier.
Yes, I miss the ease of a "Thanks" button too! I owe a lot of thanks to folks here!

I use a method that a fellow member calls "The Sidewinder Minion method" which he has admitted he got from Enrico Brandizzi (another member, Genius, BTW).
Basically fill the well, keep a small hollow on one side for placement of the lit (20) coals nod the fire will creep across the field for quite some time, I have run 7-8 hours at 250(ish) using this method. My first brisket was a 13 hour cook with only one recharge so, I'm pretty well pleased with that technique, I make the "hot spot" right at the door so subsequent recharging is easier.
I use the same method, with the lit coals positioned in front of the vent where my Stoker is attached. If I have to reload charcoal before the cook is finished, I lift off the body of the WSM, push the remaining lit coals over to where the original lit ones were placed, and fill in behind with unlit. This gives me, essentially, the same conditions as when the cook was first started.

Thanks for the top tips guys, just smoking another piece as I type.

Luckily I have put my WSM in our pergola as it is chucking it down with rain, yet again. It's been the driest winter and spring here in the UK, looks like our summer is making up for that!

Today was an old style turkey cook on the kettle but, I got stalled by a deluge of Homeric proportions! Slowed about forty five minutes but, I had my BIG umbrella close and set it over the kettle and we got things under way for a reasonable dinner hour!

Back