The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WSM newbie - temperature control

What ChrisBarb said !

In BBQ, we cook past Doness to Tenderness. While the meat was technically Done at that 71c (160f), continued cooking was needed until it reached Tenderness.

Since the products we cook are not as quality controlled as are other food types, temperatures given are not exact and are to be only used as guidelines.
    Last edited by Bob Bass; 05-08-2017 at 10:00 AM.
    KCBS, CBBQA, Operation BBQ Relief

Thanks for your replies chaps, most useful. This forum doesn't appear to have a thanks button?

Paul, you will be fine, this is a good place for more information than is generally felt safe for human consumption but, the members here are not limited by their humanity but by barbecue/grilling prowess!
    I'm not an old hand with a WSM but, with some help I've had success with everything I have tried!
    I use a method that a fellow member calls "The Sidewinder Minion method" which he has admitted he got from Enrico Brandizzi (another member, Genius, BTW).
    Basically fill the well, keep a small hollow on one side for placement of the lit (20) coals nod the fire will creep across the field for quite some time, I have run 7-8 hours at 250(ish) using this method. My first brisket was a 13 hour cook with only one recharge so, I'm pretty well pleased with that technique, I make the "hot spot" right at the door so subsequent recharging is easier.
    Yes, I miss the ease of a "Thanks" button too! I owe a lot of thanks to folks here!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    I use a method that a fellow member calls "The Sidewinder Minion method" which he has admitted he got from Enrico Brandizzi (another member, Genius, BTW).
    Basically fill the well, keep a small hollow on one side for placement of the lit (20) coals nod the fire will creep across the field for quite some time, I have run 7-8 hours at 250(ish) using this method. My first brisket was a 13 hour cook with only one recharge so, I'm pretty well pleased with that technique, I make the "hot spot" right at the door so subsequent recharging is easier.
    I use the same method, with the lit coals positioned in front of the vent where my Stoker is attached. If I have to reload charcoal before the cook is finished, I lift off the body of the WSM, push the remaining lit coals over to where the original lit ones were placed, and fill in behind with unlit. This gives me, essentially, the same conditions as when the cook was first started.
    "If we took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?"
    18.5 WSM | 22.5 OTG (green) | 22.5 Kettle (OTS, black)

Thanks for the top tips guys, just smoking another piece as I type.

Luckily I have put my WSM in our pergola as it is chucking it down with rain, yet again. It's been the driest winter and spring here in the UK, looks like our summer is making up for that!

Today was an old style turkey cook on the kettle but, I got stalled by a deluge of Homeric proportions! Slowed about forty five minutes but, I had my BIG umbrella close and set it over the kettle and we got things under way for a reasonable dinner hour!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Raining elsewhere

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12