UMAi Pancetta

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Cash and Carry our local restaurant supply has started carrying these fresh bellies. They aren't full bellies. Which is perfect for a project like this. If I want a full one I can go to Costco. Per pound price is the same at both places right now.

Started this on Saturday. Will be ready in a month or two. Will do a 2 week cure +/-. Then into the UMAi bag until I lose 40% of the weight.

I'll check back in after the cure with some rolled photos.

34224312712_6ec55aaf92_c.jpg

34252063411_7bf411e0ac_c.jpg

33541060314_917fc3d7ab_c.jpg

Back in a few weeks!

Very interesting! Never heard of the UMAi bags - looks like a cool product. Now you have me wanting to make some prosciutto.

Keeping an eye on this one, Case. I've got an UMAI kit that someone gave me for Xmas, and haven't done anything with it yet. I've got a couple of coppa/money muscles that I separated from a couple butts waiting in the freezer for me to get off my rear and make some coppa. Let us know your experience!

R

I'v used the UMAI bags with great success. I believe your gonna love the results.

This is my second go with UMAi. I have a Bresaola curing right now. It's been bagged and in the fridge for a week, lost about 12% so far. I have made pancetta and bresaola before just not with the UMAi.

Had to look up UMAI bags. Case, where did you learn how to make and cook all these different recipes you post?

Cant wait too see the finished product.

Had to look up UMAI bags. Case, where did you learn how to make and cook all these different recipes you post?

Cant wait too see the finished product.

My family likes to cook. Learned a bunch from parents and grandparents. The rest I do a bunch of reading and research on

3 generations of cooking, with a sous chef in training...always enjoy your posts Case.

Thanks.

Done with the cure, time to dry thing out.

Rolled and bagged

34437544750_287e0856d0_c.jpg

34783703956_9f9d068239_c.jpg

34437545920_be5c865b61_c.jpg

34013818853_84b04b48fc_c.jpg

33980583614_449cf82869_c.jpg

Time for more waiting...

Looking good already, Case! I still have my starter pack of Umai stuff sitting around.....need to get some meat in the cure!

R

Looking good already, Case! I still have my starter pack of Umai stuff sitting around.....need to get some meat in the cure!

R

Mine sat in my "curing box" way too long! I have a hunk of loin that is going to be started soon. I still have to break out the smaller bags for making pepperoni, sopresstta, etc.

Back