Sous Vide / Smoker Finish - Has Anyone Tried This Method?

DavidVerba

Due to inclement weather my Brisket smoke has been postponed until next weekend. I've been using sous vide for a few years now but have never tried brisket. Started doing a little research and two of my favorite sites have already tried it!

Serious Eats

and

Chef Steps

Has anyone tried this method?

I am thinking the longer 48 hour cook from Chef Steps and a 3 hour finish @ 300F on the smoker (omitting the liquid smoke from the recipe)

I'm using a 18# Packer that I won't be trimming (J. Kenji-Lopz suggestion)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

https://goo.gl/photos/MWJvsoETBkQYgGnE7

I've tried it twice. Loved each result. I also left out the Liquid Smoke.

One thing to note is if you want a "traditional" brisket run your circulator at 155 or so. The first time I did it I ran it at 135 for 72 hours. Ended up with great texture but it was a lot different from a traditional brisket. Imagine a brisket that pulls and tears like a low and slow brisket but is basically medium to medium rare. Not worse, certainly, just different than what your brain tells you brisket should look and taste like.

The first time I did it I also ran at high heat (300* or higher) thinking I wouldn't do it for very long and wanted the heat to help set a bark. The second time I ran the WSM at aboutbut250 In retrospect I think it would be better (haven't tried this though) to smoke it at 200 for a couple hours. Probably still get some bark and won't risk drying out the meat during its second cook.

Back