Crazy Brisket Prices

Robert T

TVWBB Guru
Maybe to those who buy brisket a lot this is normal. I went to Costco after work to buy a brisket flat to cook on the kettle tomorrow. I found a flat I liked but the price was pretty high. They were choice flats. Then I looked in the next bin and there were prime whole packers for a lot less money. So I decided to fire up the big WSM tomorrow and find something to do with the leftovers. This seemed odd to me but I don't cook brisket that often.

20170428_183146_zpsw2wtuyur.jpg

20170428_183140_zpsl4flruze.jpg

Sure is hard to understand their logic with pricing, but you made an excellent choice going with the Prime Packer. Our Costco has gone back into it's normal mode, no briskets or pork bellies. Looking forward to seeing that cook Robert.

You did the right thing picking the full packer. Going to watch this and see how it comes out.

Flats are also crazy high by me. You pay for the convenience, trimming ETC that makes sense to some, but not me.
BIL just called me from Costco and relayed the same prices.

Tim

Those Prime whole packers from Costco are nice, but man there's a ton of fat to trim.
A couple weeks ago they were $3.99/lb here.

Flats for some reason are double (or more) the cost of a whole packer here. No brainer.

Robert, my son asked for me to smoke a brisket for his 14th birthday. So off to Sams my wife went... A +\-9 pound flat was just north of $45! While (just like in your instance) there sitting right next to the flats were whole packers for a lot less.. She brought home a 13 pound packer for right around $32! Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but hey, I'm getting ready to slice one heck of a fine brisket!!
Tim

Those Prime whole packers from Costco are nice, but man there's a ton of fat to trim.
A couple weeks ago they were $3.99/lb here.

I grabbed a couple smaller ones last week and they still had some a couple days ago at $2.99/lb. The one I just smoked wasn't too fatty. It's a no-brainer at this price.

Smoked my second brisket last night. I used Montreal Steak seasoning for the rub again, but this time I injected with apple juice. It's kind of interesting. I foiled at the same temps as the other (~157 F), but slept through my temp alarm. Woke up when he brisket was at 210 F. Figured that probably wasn't gonna be good, but double toweled it and put it in an insulated bag. Pulled it out ~7 hours later. It turned out fine and very moist, easy to cut and didn't try to fall apart like parts of the first brisket did.

This week at Costco in Prescott prime was $3.29 and choice was $3.99:confused:. Maybe like Bob Correll said a lot more fat on the prime.

Back