Grilled Halibut and Israeli Couscous

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
We were in our one and only fish market (Without going big box) yesterday and saw they had some rather nice halibut fillets. Bought a pound and headed home to fix dinner. I'd seen a recipe for Couscous that I wanted to do the next time we had fish so I pulled it out. It's Israeli Couscous with Chopped Vegetables, Chickpeas and Artichokes. Got things lined out.

Put together a lemon-dill vinaigrette to be added to the Couscous near the end of it's preparation. Not shown is salt and pepper also. Used the juice of the entire lemon.

Set it aside while doing the other steps.

Remaining Couscous ingredients. Chickpeas, grape tomatoes, chopped purple onion, kalamata olives, lots of fresh chopped basil, artichoke hearts chopped, pearl couscous, finely chopped English Cucumber and mozzarella balls.

Carefully warmed the couscous over some direct heat using my 4 qt. Dutch Oven. Stirred continually until nicely browned.

Added water and brought to a boil. Covered and reduce heat and simmered for around 10 minutes.

Drained the Couscous and put together the remain ingredients minus the Mozzarella balls and basil.

Added the couscous and basil.

Added the vinaigrette, stirred and garnished with some torn basil.

Last edited:
Got the halibut out. $22/lb. Yikes!

Basted with softened butter, lemon juice, onion powder, dill weed, white sugar, S&P.

Things went super fast after this so just the one grill shot.

Plated with some Tartine I'd made earlier in the day.

This was a wonderful meal. The halibut was flaky and paired well with Israeli Couscous. Super flavors in the couscous... love Kalamata Olives. The plum tomatoes were great too. Hope you all have a great weekend and once again, thanks for looking.

Last edited:
That looks incredible. I'm enjoying a few similar flavors in my roasted garlic / sun dried tomato / basil / kalamata olive hummus on a very simple whole wheat brick (loaf).

I like this Cliff. vvvvv

Inverted Vortex and Santa Maria grill.

FNLwIyMh.jpg

Another great cook Cliff.

Last edited:
Cliff I saw some halibut tonight when I was brisket shopping and almost pulled the trigger. That looks so good now I regret not getting some. Everyone in our family loves halibut. I am so delighted with the couscous. It looks absolutely delicious. Thank you once again for expanding my horizons in food! Great meal.

Looks really good Cliff, looks like beef, pork and chicken are coming down in price and fish is going up, $22 a pound for halibut.... ouch!

That looks wonderful Cliff. I love how you consistently come up with new things to cook, very creative.

Great looking dinner, but what's the advantage of the Santa Maria kit? Can you cover the grill with the lid as usual? That's quite a bit of air space between the coals and the food. I don't get it.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Sure do appreciate them.

Rusty... I used this set up primarily for the Couscous, which I had to bring to a quick boil then reduce to a low simmer quickly. Using this set up you can accomplish this in seconds by cranking up the grate. There is really no advantage of the set up for the fish. The coals were still plenty hot after I pulled the Dutch Oven so I just used them for the fish. I know the grate was high over the coals but you can't believe the heat generated by the Vortex. Plenty for a one inch fillet of soft fish. It's just another method to grill food but still do it on a Weber.

Last edited:
Rusty... I used this set up primarily for the Couscous, which I had to bring to a quick boil then reduce to a low simmer quickly. Using this set up you can accomplish this in seconds by cranking up the grate. There is really no advantage of the set up for the fish. The coals were still plenty hot after I pulled the Dutch Oven so I just used them for the fish. I know the grate was high over the coals but you can't believe the heat generated by the Vortex. Plenty for a one inch fillet of soft fish. It's just another method to grill food but still do it on a Weber.

I see. Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a must have (Vortex) for searing steaks. Sounds similar to the heat generated by a chimney starter - which, in itself, is a Vortex of sorts I guess.

EDIT: The veggies almost seem to be the heart of the dinner. I need to get together with my wife and try this at home. Looks very healthy for a diabetic to try.

Last edited:
Great looking meal! Putting the Couscous recipe in my book.

Bought choked when I saw the price tag! Yikes is right!

Nicely done Cliff. I wish you would teach my son to BBQ Halibut, he cooks it in the house, and that's just wrong

Back