Power problem

RayO

Guys,
I had a HM built and just got it in Wednesday. Last night I found a 12v power supply (didn't know how many amps), plugged it in and the HM came on. It flashed and seemed to be in a loop for a while. I went downstairs to get my laptop to try to see if I could configure it but when I got back up there was no activity (no lights, no display, nothing). I unplugged it and plugged it back but still nothing. I ordered a different power supply from Amazon based on other forum posts but I'm wondering if I've already fried my HM. I didn't smell any kind of electric burn or anything.

Any ideas?

Probably a bogus PS, but you might inspect the board for stray solder, or a long leg on a component you forgot to clip or something like that. Does it power up via USB to the rPi? Everything should work except the blower when powered by USB.

Please excuse my ignorance but I don't see a place to plug in to usb. Is that because it's in a case?

I received a new power supply yesterday. Plugged it in and everything seemed to work fine. Crisis averted for now.

I received a new power supply yesterday. Plugged it in and everything seemed to work fine. Crisis averted for now.
Glad it worked out for you! I'm guessing that was a bit scary. Was your first power supply defective or underpowered?

Very scary! I thought I'd already screwed it up. LOL. I'm assuming it was underpowered. Funny thing is after I got the new power supply I found another 12v 1.5 amp power supply on the shelf in my office.

You'd be surprised at how common a 12V 1A or better PS with the same plug is... I must have a dozen of them here from various electronics that have hit the dust bin of time... routers, wireless phones etc... very common supply...

Back