Need some info before selling

RussL

TVWBB Member
So I currently run an EP-330 I purchased new. I've been running an old Genesis Silver I took from my folks when they upgraded a bunch of years ago. I'm picking up a WSM in the next few weeks and would love to sell the Silver and replace it with a Performer. Is it worth selling? I don't even know how to price it if I do put on CL.

I appreciate any input possible.

i guess depending on the guts (burners, flavorizer bars, fire box) these seem to go for anywhere from $50 - 300. obviously the lower the price, the quicker it will sell. also, to get a higher price, you'll have to clean it up a bit and possibly do some restoring.

i guess depending on the guts (burners, flavorizer bars, fire box) these seem to go for anywhere from $50 - 300. obviously the lower the price, the quicker it will sell. also, to get a higher price, you'll have to clean it up a bit and possibly do some restoring.

I'm seeing them sell for $50-100 pretty quickly, and most above that price sit for a few weeks. I agree on a cleaning of it, but also definitely do multiple photos in good light (whatever is the max number that CL allow). Most I see have only one or two pictures, and you cannot tell if the the whole thing is falling apart with rust or if it's actually fine. I bought a Genesis 1000 yesterday for $30, and the pictures made it look like it was about the same level you'd expect from a curb find, but actually it's got almost no rust and the 26 year old wooden slats aren't rotted and the missing grate was because it had been upgraded to a smoker. So If they'd had decent pictures, washed it, and described it properly, it'd have sold for way more. If there's anyway you have a cheap old tank (i.e. a $10 one off CL), I think that helps them sell. As someone then has a working bbq, rather than needing to go drop $50 for a full bottle. Even one with just enough gas to test it would help. I'd also suggest putting a picture of the serial number sticker if that has the model and year on it. Most people wouldn't be able to tell if that's a 1990 or a 2005, and to me, knowing that's a 2004 or whatever, would encourage me a little.

As with anything, taking the time to give it a good cleaning and even polishing/waxing will be worth it. It will sell quicker and for a few bucks more too.

It's time for Grill Spring Cleaning in my house anyway. I've seen a few of these on CL for $245+ and I feel like the only difference is theirs are cleaner. I did a mini renovation when I first got 3 or 4 years ago, and it runs well. Got a few packed weekends coming up, but hopefully I can have it in good condition by Memorial day.

Again, I appreciate the input.

All depends on what else is currently for sale in your area. Best deals I've seen of late, have been $35 with bottle, $79 with two bottles, and many in between. The ones at $125+ do not seem to sell fast at all. If you have the time to wait for the right buyer, you can probably do very well. Great photos, clear description, and that'll at least give you the best chance. Right now in my area there is a pretty constant supply of silvers under $!00, although without good photos, they may require some parts etc. I got one 1200 Platinum free, and paid $30 for a 1000. Good luck.

Prices/values are all over the map because you have grills and sellers with lots of variation as well. Some people don't know what a grill is worth, they just want it gone. Might be in perfect condition with a propane tank and they might price it at $40. Other grills might have solid bones, but are in need of a good amount of work and those might be priced at $50-$100.

Buyers are also highly variable. Some might just want cheap. Some might want to fix up themselves. Others will understand value and want a grill in pristine condition ready to go, and are willing to pay for it.

Long story short, the better the condition of your grill, the higher it's resale value will be.

Back