What is life without brisket?

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
.....I don't want to know.

While I juggled a couple of conference calls with Israel and UK based customers this morning, I assembled the WSM, trimmed a 17lb prime packer, seasoned it up with DP Red Eye Express, and got it going. My target is to run this between 300-325 (currently still recovering from the "add the meat" drop.)

In case you forgot what a seasoned brisket looks like:

33900395510_26d6ba0559_k.jpg

More pictures to come as we go......

Rich

PS: When I get a break between calls, I'll be mixing up some #5 (thanks @Steve!)

That's an awesome looking brisket Rich, I'm sure its going to be outstanding when done. #5 sauce the only way to go.

The only thing nicer than a work at home job is that great looking brisket. You know how to enjoy Hump Day in the Bay Area Rich. I'll take a peek later.

For those of you who are glued to your screen awaiting an update, here's a check-in.....

I put my brisket on the WSM at about 8a, and at 11:15, it hit 170 internal temp, so I took it off the WSM, put it in a pan, foiled it, and tossed it in my oven set at 325. Here's what she looked like:

34130183832_22f7ee710c_k.jpg

The house is starting to smell amazing, and I'll start checking for tender in 2-3 hours. I'm guessing that this cook is going to be in the neighborhood of 7 hours due to the size of the brisket, but ya never can tell.

Back later....

R

If you have some brisket to spare, try making some spaghetti with brisket, good stuff. No pasta sauce, just a little of your favorite bbq sauce.

Hmmm, brisket spaghetti.....I could get behind that! I'll probably freeze a bunch for use in chili, make some tacos, and, now, maybe some spaghetti.

So, the brisket is done, and it was a pretty easy cook. The nice thing about my WSM22 is that I can't get it to run any hotter than 325 as read by the lid therm (checked for accuracy), so it's kinda no fuss, no muss. I'll post up some sliced pics later when we eat, but in the meantime......

Here's how much fat vs usable drippings you get from a trimmed 17 lb packer:

34159375431_56cc36a3cf_k.jpg

....and, I swear there's a foil-wrapped meteorite looking thing in there! :)

34290461735_a088b7ff18_k.jpg

Dinner's at about 7 when the oldest gets home from swim practice.... :)

R

Looks like it turned out great! I just smoked one of my Costco briskets yesterday. It was my second brisket ever and turned out pretty darn good. Brisket is cheap right now at my local Costco. Thinking now that I've done a good one, I'm gonna stock up while the prices are so good.

Ok, folks, the results are in. The brisket turned out well, but was probably about 30 minutes too long in the foil. It was very juicy, but very fall-apart tender in a few spots (most noticeably where there was "looser" grain at the end of the flat. Flavor was great, though probably could have swapped a cherry chunk for an additional hickory chunk. All in all, I would rate this a B+/A-, and the kids gobbled their up then went back for more. A few additional pics:

Sliced on the board:

33482618763_72c4dbf314_k.jpg

On the plate:

34252326466_3269e77dfa_k.jpg

And a close-up:

33908944420_4a63e3e5d0_k.jpg

Thanks for riding along today!

Rich

Rich your brisket looks delicious! I have a question on the number 5 sauce. Are the meat drippings essential because I don't have any. Any substitutions? Beef stock etc? But back to your brisket - it looks so tender and you did get a nice smoke ring. Great job!

Rich your brisket looks delicious! I have a question on the number 5 sauce. Are the meat drippings essential because I don't have any. Any substitutions? Beef stock etc? But back to your brisket - it looks so tender and you did get a nice smoke ring. Great job!

Robert, I don't think they are essential. I use them when I can as I think they add a great richness and beefy flavor to the sauce that goes perfect with brisket. If I was going to sub, maybe some reduced broth or demi-glace. Honestly, if you don't have any, I wouldn't sweat it. Make it per the recipe (note that I cut the vinegar down to 1/3 cup, as the original was too vinegary for me.....try that, and then bump it up to the original if you prefer), and then add some drippings when you cook something, or don't.

R

I saw a great "Demi glacé" cheat in a recipe some years back and it's been pretty good for many uses.
One can each:
Chicken broth
Beef broth
Red wine
Reduce by half
Easy Peasy!

I strongly recommend using low salt broth! It can get pretty powerful!

Back