Question About Lump Charcoal

Tom Barineau

TVWBB Super Fan
I bought a bag of B&B oak lump and a bag of B&B hickory lump. The oak was mostly small pieces while the hickory is much larger chunks. I do realize that the oak could have simply been mishandled, but I was wondering if the fact that hickory wood is quite hard might be the reason hickory lump doesn't break up in the bag as readily as the oak?

Thanks, Bill. I'd looked at that site and they show "oak" and "hardwood" lump, but don't appear to have reviewed any hickory lump.

That's a problem with lump. There's a lack of consistency. The size of the pieces probably isnt related to the type of wood. That's just what you happened to get.

Tom, any chance that the one bag was leftover from last year and had been tossed around, breaking up the lump into smaller pieces? Just a thought.

Quite likely, Phil. I guess you "pays your money and takes your chances" unless you happen to have x-ray vision, but I'm still curious about the density of the hickory lump versus the oak. So far, an email to B&B Charcoal has gone unanswered, and same for an email to Naked Whiz. I started out Sunday with the oak lump and soon saw the need to open and add some unlit hickory. It started quickly, burned clean, hot, and long but the temp only got over my target of 230* when I opened the lid to baste the ribs. The hickory lump might my go to from now on.

I guess my last post didn't post.

You could always dump the bag into a large bin and separate the lump by size and use where you feel is appropriate.

Back