Little grill Blue

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
So here, is my new acquisition. I came over to the dark side, charcoal. I decided to go with the gas assist performer to make things a bit easy on me. its probably more than I need, but if I make it harder on myself by having to use the chimney every time and no ash catch I can picture myself using it less frequently.

I unfortunately/fortunately got excited to get a blue one when I saw that they made them. so I really did jump on one of the first ones I saw and in my mind, paid too much for something a little rough. Hopefully the rehab isn't too bad, and the end product is nice. I think the bowl is in good shape, its everything else that isn't. This has a date code of 2012 i think, so I was surprised that this thing is like 4 years old.

Things to address
-needs a good clean out and cleaning
-Bottom of the legs are rusted.
-wire shelf at the bottom is rusted at the joints.
-table has 3 of the 4 screws popped through. hanging on by a thread.
-1 of the levers on the ash catch is rusted.
-grates are rusty

Fixing Plan/What should I do?
On the legs, I was thinking of sanding just the tips, taking the wheels off and the plastic connectors off and painting the bottoms black/ dark gray to match the plastic.

I am unsure how to fix the bottom shelf. Should I just be taking a wire brush to the joints to get out the rust and spray with paint? I don't want the paint to flake. I want a nice finished product on the whole grill.

Grates I was going to use baking soda or barkeepers friend. Eventually I want to get stainless grates but id like to have this thing up and running and feel nice and together before buying them, same with the cover.

Hoping that I can get the table warrantied by Weber and probably buy a new handle for the ash catch.

In reading the warranty that is currently out there (not sure what was in effect in 2012-13), the bowl is covered for 10 years, plastic for 5 years and everything else for 2. So I'm assuming none of the other issues could have warranty coverage.

Let me know your thoughts. I'm excited to try it, but feel like I need to take care of a few things before thinking of firing it up.

C3A8939A-1D43-4B8E-8096-24E2BC62DF0D.jpg

750FFD70-8D59-49CB-84A2-0EDA9939D40D.jpg

58AA73EA-106D-4E92-9FE3-E32BAA340A3B.jpg

642320A6-ED5C-4E90-8D43-C4A1FFBD3880.jpg
08D1BB10-52E7-4ED0-BBDE-76D3B160B9C2.jpg
261D0FF2-9712-43C4-A7BE-11372E434F97.jpg
62233524-9C80-4D03-B74A-79BA9B27CAAC.jpg

Last edited:
First go and register with Weber, then get a new metal table from warranty. 2 down load the owners manual, so you know how to take apart and that way you can address the rust issues.
3 disassemble to get to the bottom legs and wire shelf out. That way you can use a wire brush, sand paper whatever it takes to get a clean level surface.
4 treat the rust , then paint with a good primer paint system, while apart you can repaint the whole frame whatever color you chose.
5 important replace all the hardware with stainless from a place like ACE, Lowes,HD.
6 if you are going to replace the sweep system add that to your tabe order saves shipping.
7 I would replace cooking grate with the weber Gourmet system. Charcoal grate looks fine.
Scape bowl with a razor blade and wash with Dawn and a scruby, four 0 Steel wool and soapy water for the paint surfaces.
Finally a good cover.
8 when ordering anything from Amazon for grills, household. Whatever use the link here @TVWBB so Chris gets suport from them.
I think that covers it, if not others will lend there knowledge.

Chris,

I think you're on the right track with this. The table should be under warranty, and you'll likely get the new style steel table as a replacement. I'd wire brush and paint the lower rack and legs too...just spend the extra few bucks for the good paint.

As for the grates, I'd wire brush the lower charcoal grate and keep using it if it's not warped. The upper grate I'd probably just pick up a new one. They're cheap enough and they never really last.

Enjoy it though! The blue Performer is quite the commodity...I love mine.

In your other post, you said it was in rough shape. Except for the cooking grate, which you should always replace on a used grill, and the table, which Weber should replace under warranty, it's in GREAT shape! Congrats!

In your other post, you said it was in rough shape. Except for the cooking grate, which you should always replace on a used grill, and the table, which Weber should replace under warranty, it's in GREAT shape! Congrats!

Lew is right.

First thing I would do is REMOVE THE GASOLINE CAN.:p

The gasoline can didn't come with the grill. I posted that photo from their place as I realized I didn't have a full on pic of the grill.

The bowl is in great shape, which is important. I was not counting on the rust really or the table being broken. I figured I'd be cleaning, not painting, but I can do it, just want to make sure I don't screw it up.

Anyone have any recommendations on paint for the wire racks and the tube bottom? do you have to sand every inch on this stuff? should I just pick any rustolium or similar?

I'm thinking once I have some time to clean up, test the burner, and get on the phone with Weber I'll really know where I stand. Had a hard time explaining to my wife we were unloading it out of the car that yeah, this is a decent deal and it it will be great, while she's looking at the rusted out grate and broken table...my 5 year old just loves it b/c its BLUE

You only have to sand the rust areas to clean metal. There is several paints out there that will very well on the Krylon,Rustolem. They both have primer in he paint. You will have repaint some parts every few years , do just pick a good color you like and have fun with it.

I found one like yours back in February out here in Suffolk. The bowl was shot, but luckily everything else was solid. Weber warrantied the bowl and I cleaned up the rest. Took about 4 hours or so. Here's a pic of the Craigslist Ad, followed some post clean up shots. I eventually added a new style lid bale. You got yourself a great grill. Enjoy!

Se-M2IHK_wi5uyF5fo1m2MvT1mpjulHUJIq2kp4Zdpw5eMilbx20e2P1RakighrjcRIeonO5iAnKeoOYSkvLaaIKqA4VDD3GTn_0AOCYEaoTLGSBPEsY9op6gnaMZ2Hu7-IiCiW5_x_fwVIt51apZUNkptRMp9jMD8z_Rmp1-eTncb_W21LdecmhdUSbFlYQrC5m5Ic0bbolbDs40Ov10KdfANG2On9Fy-AG0chQ3Zo2y-F49DJQcf7AMZlU3zWtqrTnWA2lz-OUaG1iJlpMvUJH1TsX1NwXVgHHKlp78ONqEo4uokLLyE9SMv9zkFnAWmbCQzjzUaaQnRM6cuWhNsUrUqBQFe2eeGebjK3H70rMX2L5of_2jnPSBa9i768AkAG5pYRM7AB-svREu2j3VwOGNtv4tUuKTMEv2noTTz5uuNRV5SPJ8AzBNM00yde82OYWvof39MxEH3yRml26kwuBkDtIkUM9ut6Gn1xL2AgPaXrWF6jtOEG-JD-vq0uk6HbqHylsbRKE31E4YHhGymQ5qc_7YahJMUkwdtnBWkAO9uUA5EoOLiwYsWDzHVA4wmlAnIOJvumdqtENcWR_DehYzF7mqypkAell0YQitbjFQnvErQ-gHg=w536-h951-no

20170226_135145.jpg

20170225_123102.jpg

Nice grab Chris. I had been looking at that ad for a while, but really needed to clean and sell my silver before I get to the Performer.

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone. I should be getting a care package from Weber today with the parts. They did pretty well on warranty coverage with the table and one touch cleaning system and I got 2 parts for my Genesis Gold shipped in the same order.

One thing I didn't get replaced and maybe I should have is the ash catcher assembly it has corrosion on it (not rust). I washed it all up, but still needs attention. I just bought some barkeepers friend and will try that this weekend.

I tossed both grates and didn't bother mentioning either the ash catcher or the grates to weber. I figured they'd be out of warranty. I have a new charcoal grate and a SS cooking grate coming from Amazon.

Hey chris Z ronkonkoma here i did the same to my baby Q painted the top red w/ Installed a thermonitor as well , i was looking at that blue kettle the The other Chris grab i saw one few weeks ago but missed out
jerr

Things are moving along. I thought I was actually done last night when I reattached the basket to the cart and the charcoal bin. However, I went to start the propane start and I can't get it working. I am turning the knob and the knob is turning, but the valve isn't.

I need to look at it again tonight to figure out the cause. At this point I'm not going to call weber anymore, they've helped so much with sending me some parts to assist in my fixing of this, table, plastic supports on the cart and a few other things, I'd feel bad going back to them again.

Back