Dirty grills on craigslist

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Is this common in your area?
Around here I'd say 90% or more of the Weber grills listed still have ashes in them, and are often dirty to boot.
Seems to me it would be best to clean them out and up a bit.
Here's some currently listed:

00B0B_asifLeQbj6b_600x450.jpg

00d0d_8KqSeSpP6GV_600x450.jpg

00n0n_4cT3OXIDRiw_600x450.jpg

00B0B_kvBbLX6XPTn_600x450.jpg

00N0N_iQKhiv1eL9I_600x450.jpg

01414_et5awde7GkN_600x450.jpg

I've seen a couple on there that were nice grills, just filthy! And selling them for a steal! If I only had room!

I see them all the time. They often list them way too high and then give them away. It's a shame. To be honest, I clean the outside of my grills mostly never, but I keep the ash out of them and If I was trying to sell something I'd clean it up.

Same here. They think the ashes prove something. That's why they are overpriced.
gas models also, always grungy. The best ads are were the grill is covered. Haven't figured that one out yet.

I always clean the ashes out of my grills the next day when they're cool because they are highly acidic and I want the grill clean and ready to go for my next cook.
As far as Cl goes we have the same dirty looking grills as Bob showed and they want some times more than list price for them.

When I bought my Performer off cl, it was filthy. I also got several kettles and my WSM off cl: all were filthy and all were cheap ($50 for the Performer, $100 for the WSM, free to $25 for the kettles). Most of the sellers just wanted someone to haul it away and weren't interested in dumping ashes and hosing it down because they didn't care how much they got for it. They didn't appreciate the value of what they had. Good for those of us who do.

You really do not want to there kitchens, I have seen many like this here also.
Some folks are like school out for ghe summer "NO CLASS".

Not completely sure, but most of the grills I have come across on Craigslist look fairly clean. I don't think I've seen any with used coals residing in the bottom, although the grilling surfaces are sometimes rusty looking.

I am a car detailer at heart, and after a good degreasing, scrub, and rinse - I'd breakout a bottle of automotive paint cleaner and shine up the outside finish if I intended to sell a Weber.

You really do not want to there kitchens, I have seen many like this here also.
Some folks are like school out for ghe summer "NO CLASS".

Pffft, have to disagree with you here Kev. My grills usually come close to looking like that. Each time I go out to do a new cook, I work the ash sweeps and sometimes have to empty the pot before lighting and dumping new coals. When I cook, meat comes off the grill, sweeps get closed, lid goes on, BAM, I'm done with the grill. Time to go in the house and enjoy some good food.

Pffft, have to disagree with you here Kev. My grills usually come close to looking like that. Each time I go out to do a new cook, I work the ash sweeps and sometimes have to empty the pot before lighting and dumping new coals. When I cook, meat comes off the grill, sweeps get closed, lid goes on, BAM, I'm done with the grill. Time to go in the house and enjoy some good food.

That pretty much sounds like me except I like to spray the kettle with high pressure water, occasionally, to keep ash buildup to a minimum on the sides of the bowl. I've also adopted Harry Soo's method of soaking the grill with oven cleaner in a trash bag about two to the three times a year too. Other than that, I heat the grill up to smoke off the last cook's grease and then hit it with a grill brush before adding the meat.

I used to scrape all the stuff off the sides and bottom of the inside of my grills with a plastic putty knife. Then I read that this buildup provides flavor. Not sure on this. Its easy enough to scrape. What I run into are the grates of my WSM. They get really greasy and there is no way they are coming in the house to clean. So I burn them off on my grill occasionally when they get gross.

Dave I shut mine down,bush the grate, put the cover down to cook off the rest,and go eat then next day I will empty out the ash brush the grate again stack the coals for next use, every month or so I soak the grate scrap the bowl.
It is not perfect but nothing is growing in it.

Dave I shut mine down,bush the grate, put the cover down to cook off the rest,and go eat then next day I will empty out the ash brush the grate again stack the coals for next use, every month or so I soak the grate scrap the bowl.
It is not perfect but nothing is growing in it.

IT's all good Kevin, different strokes for different folks and all that. I fired up a chimney last night and dumped it into my Ranch to grill a small sirloin. When I lifted the lid and pulled the flip up grate up, I noticed that there was about 3 inches of ash sitting in the bottom of the RK from when I last used it a month or so ago. Guess it's getting close to time to clean it out :)

Dave I have done that, I guess that is why I try to stay ahead of mine abit.
I was at our church kast summer and I bet they never clean there's the flame had to burn it's way to the meat.
How you doing? how is business ?

Bob, I couldn't agree more. Some of those ads are downright creepy and who knows what you're going to bring home!

Oh, wait...you said grills.:cool:

People are lazy with their stuff. I have found at least 50% of my Craigslist finds had charcoal in them. I politely ask for a garbage bag from the seller then leave the charcoal after I put the grill in my truck; I'm not a garbage man.

Back