Attempting my first Pulled Pork WSCG

Norton

TVWBB Member
So folks, I'm planning to attempt my first PP on the Summit Charcoal tomorrow, how long would you say for a small 2.5lb butt?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

Norton.
If you're cooking between 250ºf - 270ºf, I would say at least 5-6 hrs. It will stall.

TWJUez

U5HuKu

TWJSoF

U5Hsus

Turned out great, 5.5 hours total cook.

4 hours @ a steady 150 deg C
1 hour in tray with cup of apple juice & covered
Final half hour back on the grill uncovered
15 minutes rest (wrapped in foil)

Tasted delicious, I'll definitely be doing it again!

Used about 3kg of Weber briquettes.

Last edited:
Norton,
That looks to be PERFECT! Good work!

Pulled pork freezes well, too. Using one of my WSM's, I typically do two bone in Boston Butts each weighing 8-9 lbs. (one on each grate). Then, we freeze all of the leftovers and then can have pulled pork "on demand". It is sure nice to have it on hand...

keep on smokin,
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks, next time I'll do a couple of hunks if that's the case, make the most of that heat :)

Never thought about freezing!

150C sounds a bit high to me (that's about 300F!), I'm doing it around 220-230F (105-110C) myself. Of course it takes about 12-14 hours this way.. but it's still a lot of fun. A side by side comparison would be interesting to see how half the cooking time alters the result (if it does at all).

150C sounds a bit high to me (that's about 300F!), I'm doing it around 220-230F (105-110C) myself. Of course it takes about 12-14 hours this way.. but it's still a lot of fun. A side by side comparison would be interesting to see how half the cooking time alters the result (if it does at all).

Maybe it is worth experimenting with? Can't we start a thread with a sort of excel template to fill in weight, temp-range,... to see how it worked out?

I would gladly participate in such an experiment but I'm unsure how we could compare the results aside of the objective measures, like weight loss, cooking time, length of the stall, etc..

I cook all of my Bone In Boston Butts (normally 8-9 lbs. each) at 275-300 degrees. I use either four chunks of apple wood or pecan. It commonly takes 8-9 hours. I wrap in aluminum foil when the bark is set (I use Harry Soo's method of wrapping). I get absolutely excellent pulled pork but due to the higher temps, I get it faster:D.

I have no quarrel with those that do "low and slow", do it like YOU prefer.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks for the comments folks, the Summit's a nice grill for sure & now I have a pair...lol the WSCG & E-670. I'd only cooked Mince Pies (at Christmas) on the Charcoal & have pretty much zero experience with Charcoal.

I didn't have that long to cook Kristof as we had the son & his family round screaming for food...so went for a quicker cook.

I found it perfect, may try a longer cook at some point but don't see the need as this tasted great! The thing I may not do next time is the crutch as whilst I had bark the crutch softened it some.

Personally, I've not looked at the Harry Soo method, but will do, thanks for the heads up Dale!

Last edited:
Was the last photo of the Brighton Pier?

On my Flickr? If so, it's Southsea Pier, it's in Portsmouth, about 50 or so miles West of Brighton. Have you been to Brighton Matty? We have a few piers on the South coast

Last edited:

Back