Lid Open/Closed condition

Greg Fountaine

TVWBB Member
Test run today - the pit temp will be below target, fan will kick on - run for several seconds and then the "Lid Open" message appears momentarily and disappears and the fan kicks back on again.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your left button is triggering for some reason. Maybe being pressed by the case or you've got some sort of phantom voltage spikes that are triggering a button press detection. You can isolate the cause by removing the LCD/Button board from the base board and seeing if it continues happening. Either that or did you set your lid detect trigger to 0%?

I think that's right but it is on the device menus as well as in the webui:
c9MadEp.png

I got you now - I was looking at the ld command to disable the open lid function. I have it set at 6 and 240 in the GUI (and from the CLI)

I'm back again on this issue. For some reason in the middle of the night it started flipping back and forth while I was asleep.
Short of having an uninvited guest coming to my backyard and opening/closing the lid repeatedly for close to an hour. Any suggestions on how to diagnose this?
18222681_10203273325989726_2803530167571540409_n.jpg

Looks to me like your lid open is working as advertised. You have some rather quick drops in temperature on that graph. I'd review your PID settings and try to adjust those out. What is your setup? Also, depending on your setup, your fan may actually be momentarily cooling your probe if set too high.

I never let my lid open detect automatically, so I set quite high. I prefer to manually activate it by hitting left switch before opening the lid.

Last edited:
Good points! 18" WSM, using the stock fan that Bryan has in the kit.
Here's my PID settings, I've not fiddled with them much, I think these are defaults.
I should probably bump up my % activation on the lid open, 6% is 13deg, not a whole lot,...
18268188_10203273881803621_8936350204599896820_n.jpg

It's hard to tell from the 6 hour graph if the dips are low enough to trigger the lid mode or if the dips are a result of the false trigger of the lid mode. You should watch the pit on the 1 hour graph where you see more detail and see if the pit temp is actually 6% below your setpoint? Also, if you disable the ambient temp probe your temperature graph range will rise up from the bottom end and show you better resolution. Another thing you can do is click and drag on the bottom graph over the area in question and the top graph will change to show just that portion (at a higher resolution). Looking at a higher resolution graph are you seeing lid mode trigger before the pit temp dips or after?

That said, 6% of 225F would be 13.5F, so your pit would have to drop to 211.5F before lid mode would be triggered. I don't think the graph shows that happening? If you hover your mouse over any point on the top graph you will get a popup that shows the actual temperature reading for each probe at that spot, does the pit ever report less than 211.5F? If so the HM is working right to trigger lid mode, in that case you may want to raise the Activate setting a bit, 10% would require a dip from 225F to 202.5F before lid mode is triggered.

If the pit doesn't show a dip to 211.5F then your lid mode is being falsely triggered. In this case it could be either a flaky left button, or solder on that button or the resistor attached to it, or I guess on HMV4.3 there could be an issue at the header(s) where the daughter button /LCD board connects to the main HM board.

Last edited:

Back