Should I get a charcoal grill?

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
I'm torn. I'm sure the answer from everyone is YES of course, but I share my thoughts anyway.

I have had Weber Genesis gold for 12 years at this point, I'm 37. It will be replaced by an S440 unless something really interesting pops up on craigslist that is in an hour drive.

I grill probably on average 2 times a week year round and Im in NY. Nothing super crazy. Pork chops, sausage, hamburgers, chicken, steak.

I bought a WSM last year. I have used it probably at this point like 6 times. I like it. I like the results on the ribs and pulled pork. I just don't have lots of time that allow me to use it. Its kind of an event to use it. I'm not looking to get rid of it, I'm happy with it, just wish I could say I use it more.

We're redoing our backyard this year. getting a patio or deck, we haven't decided. I'm hoping we spend more time outside with friends than we have in the past as we will have better seating options.

So I'm thinking, hey wouldn't it be cool to sometimes use a charcoal grill? But will I use it is the question? I don't know many people with a charcoal grill. My friend has a WSM and uses it less frequently than I do. My father in law at his house uses charcoal when he has people over and has a small gas grill that I don't know if he ever uses. Also I don't think he grills much on a normal week. Other friends have gas or none at all. Growing up my father had a gas grill and we didn't use it that much and he still only uses it a few times a month in the summer.

I got it in my head and started looking at craigslist and at gas assisted performers :greenperformer:, figuring that if I'm going to do this, the more convenient it is to use the more i'd use it.... however, then I have this big cart:blackperformer: on my patio which seems like a waste if I don't use it. I'm an indecisive person by nature. I could get a standard kettle :maroonkettle: and try it, but there aren't many of those on craigslist with the ash catcher et al, or anything really cheap to just try out.

So has anyone been in my position? Only a gas griller with no real background in charcoal getting into it?

I feel like there is a bit of a taste difference in charcoal vs gas and it would be nice to get that. Also I've never done steak on a charcoal, but think that would be a great option to have.

I'm sure the die hard charcoal people think I'm crazy for waiting this long.

Ok I have a S310 3 burner E/W Ginny around 08 I guess ,18.5 WSM, and a 2010 prformer. I use the performer the most as I love the flavor and when buying coal on sale it is very affordable to cook on. The Ginny is used less but during parties I use the Ginny and performer, if you can it is great to have them all I do not grill everyday but when I do I have choices. Plus if you are redoing your back yard you can incorporate the grills into it, the best thing I would add is a covered area so I could grill rain,snow, or hot sun.

I have a Performer and a Genesis gasser. I use the Performer most of the time (my wife uses the gasser) but then I'm one of those "die hard" charcoal people. If you are just going to use charcoal as a once in a while novelty, a Performer, even one off craigslist, is a waste of money. You can get a regular Weber Kettle off craigslist for $10-$25. It cooks just as well as the Performer and doesn't have a "big cart". If after a while you decide charcoal is the way to go, then get a Performer.

I'm generally a charocal guy so, I'm going to say, get one!
The real issue is size. I regularly cook for six or more, the 22" is sometimes a little tight. I'm not worried as I have other "secondary" options. I fire the Silver B for quick "burger or steak" type cooks but, the 22" is my GO TO piece of equipment.
How many are you generally cooking for? If it's 4 or less, I'd say an 18" might be a reasonable choice but, it's easier to have more room than to have to try to diagram how to fit that "1 more thing" on there.
Also, consider what you usually cook and how, I use indirect method more often than I would have ever expected when I started out. That, in effect, reduces the working space but, renders a better product than, the old school grease flared, burnt, raw centered, meats.
I've got20 some years on you, feel free to PM me if you want.
I could go on and on but, in short, I'd say get a 22" (all the accessories fit that) in either the performer or, even basic, stand alone kettle. No one ever complained about having "too much room"!
On a side note, I just picked up an 18" WSM and it's been fired twice in two weeks, I will be using it quite a bit from initial experience, the product has been fabulous.
I'm adding square footage to my patio after getting the WSM because, I can see I'm going to be spending more time with smoking!

Last edited:
You say you have a wsm?
So you do have a charcoal grill already!

I use mine for that purpose on a regular base. You just have to be careful with the lid as it doesn't close firmely without the middle section.

I like you always cooked on a gasser. Then last year I got a Performer and love it. While I am pretty new to cooking over charcoal I have learned a lot here and my skills are improving (a evidenced by my waistline). I recently got a Spirit E310 for the days here when it gets to windy for the Performer. So I would say yes, get one. BTW you're form my old stomping grounds. I used to live in Massapequa.

I was a gasser only guy with a little charcoal thrown in on occasion. To me charcoal was a pain to work with until I stumbled onto this forum. I discovered the gas assist performer and the planets aligned and the world of charcoal was wonderful.
I have to have both a gasser (or three) and a charcoal grill (or three) and of course a WSM (or two) because of no charcoal use during the summer fire season.
I've always felt that lighting up a charcoal grill for a quick burger or hot dog or anything that takes just a couple of minuets is a waste time and charcoal, I use my gasser for those cooks. Now a nice ribeye doesn't take much longer but I'll always use charcoal for that if I can just to get that Smokey sear. Yes I admit there is a difference in some things you grill that a short charcoal cook is sure worth it, but I always try to also cook something along with the steak will take a little longer to justify the charcoal use such as a baker or some veggies etc.
I would say get a gas assist performer it makes using charcoal almost as easy as gas, you won't regret it.

I have one gasser and 5 charcoal Weber's. The Performer gets the most action because it's just plain easy for a charcoal grill. I use the gasser when I'm in a hurry and for burgers, the burgers are always cooked on a flat top in the gasser. For me the whole charcoal preparation is therapeutic.

if you like the results on the WSM you won't be dissapointed. i went the same route, gasser, WSM, and quiote recently a kettle. Having said that, and as someone pointed out earlier, you have to enjoy the process of the charcoal; set-up, clean-up....
even buying new you can get started for not a lot of coin.

i wouldn't be surprised if all your friends that have gas...grills also get themselves a kettle after you impress them with yours.

I used a gasser exclusively for over 20 years. A couple years ago I bought a charcoal kettle for $25.00. I used it off and on. Then I got a performer and it became my go to grill. For about 3 years now I rarely use gas. Maybe 3-4 times a year when I needed extra space. I will say I'd never get a kettle without a charcoal collection pan. Makes a world of difference. Also love the table on the performer. Just get one, I'm guessing you'll fall in love like I did.

Darvin

I started out with a daisy wheel OTP, used that for awhile till my Son's trashed it playing B-ball.
Work and life got in the way so I moved to a gasser and that worked well for years until I started to get a hankering for old school.
My family surprised me with a OTG on fathers day in 06 and I did a happy dance, saluted the grill and have had a blast since then.:)

Tim

When we first married we had to settle for a Weber Kettle (charcoal) because we could not afford a gasser. As soon as we were able, we bought a gasser and never used anything other than propane until recently. 16 months ago something possessed me to buy an electric smoker. Then I found this forum one month later and bought a WSM. Then probably another month later we bought a 22" Kettle. Within a few months I was so hooked on it that I added the 26" Kettle; being a family of four the 26" is a beauty since I finally learned to use a two-zone setup. My wife will not use charcoal but she does enjoy using a grill, often, during warm months. Since our Walmart gasser was on its third season and crumbling, I did buy the e-330 for her last fall when it was discounted in preparation for the new generation. Since last fall I've used the e-330 twice on my cooks compared to about 20 cooks on one of the Kettles.

I just simply love setting up and cooking one a Kettle; I've been able to hone-in on what amount and the configuration of coals for various cooks and there's just something about it that I find very pleasing. I cannot speak on the advantage of a Performer since I only have Kettles but I use Weber chimneys and have not found them to be an inconvenience.

there are three types of people in this world.

the gas grill type a person.
only uses gas.

the charcoal grill type a person.
only uses charcoal.

the fanatic grill type of person.
uses anything but gas.

Chris Kug, you seem to fall into the gas grill type a person.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

If I had to give up all my BBQ's except one: The one I would keep is my 26" Kettle (charcoal)

I'm only a novice but I would totally do exactly what ChuckO stated and it would take no more than 2 seconds to decide. Plus; while I've yet to spin meat on the e-330 I have done so on the Kettle and can pretty much make my own bed.

My first was a gasser. When I decided to buy my 22.5 kettle, I said that I'll use it only on the weekends when I had more time. But the taste of the food from the charcoal is so darn good I've ended up using it all the time. I've really become quite efficient in lighting up, cooking and cleaning up the kettle. Timing is everything. Well worth it.

So I'm not sure if you all took bets on what I'd do... the wait is over, decisions have been made...

I am the proud owner of a used gas assisted blue performer that I posted about in the other thread. It is in rougher shape than I thought. Table is broken. Some rust on the bottom of the cart by the wheels.
Now I gotta figure out how to fix that stuff

So I'm not sure if you all took bets on what I'd do... the wait is over, decisions have been made...

I am the proud owner of a used gas assisted blue performer that I posted about in the other thread. It is in rougher shape than I thought. Table is broken. Some rust on the bottom of the cart by the wheels.
Now I gotta figure out how to fix that stuff

Congratulations! You made a great decision, you will love that grill. I would try to register the grill with Weber on their website. If the previous owner did not register it you might be able to get the table under warranty. Their customer service is usually outstanding, they have sent me stuff for free that I would have gladly paid for.

Back