What keeps you interested in grilling?

Mac Mayhew

TVWBB Member
Hi Jamie,

I have enjoyed your books over the years and probably own about every one of them. I can honestly say that your books have taught me more about grilling than anything else I can think of and for that I say thank you. While I like aspects of all of them, the two that have helped me the most are the charcoal grilling book and the way to grill book. I guess the how and they why fascinate me and I would definitely consider myself a “process-oriented” griller.

With that said, something I was curious about was what drives your passion in grilling. You’ve been doing this a long time, you’ve cooked on many different grills, written a ton of books, taught a bunch of people, and experimented with lots of different techniques. What continues to interest you in grilling and why are you still so passionate about it?

Thanks,

Mac

Wow, Mac. That was such a great message to read. I appreciate the hearty pat on the back.

You know, I treat grilling as a lens to see people and cultures. What people grill and why they grill tells me a lot about who they are and what's important to them. Of course what people grill changes all the time and it varies a good deal around the country and around the world, so it's a fascinating story that never ends. That keeps me interested. Plus I really enjoy eating. It's a great job if you like to eat.

Thanks again,
Jamie

Back