Buying a barbecook smoker or DIY Smokey Joe Gold modification

Floris Vande Walle

TVWBB Member
Hello all!

After looking at all the smoked meat recipes and WSM cooks, I'd like to do my part of it. Problem is, I don't own a WSM... And it is way to expensive out here in Belgium. A 14.5" (37cm) WSM cost around 350 to 400 Euro's, translated to dollars, that would be 375 to 430 USD...

I love Weber, but just can't pay that much... :(

So, if none of you guys donate me enough money to buy one, then there are only two more options...

I have a Smokey Joe Gold sitting in the garage... I found a 15 gallon barrel... But is it any good? Budget is around 100 Euro's... Will I be able to build myself a proper one for that money? I'm a technical engineer, so that's not the issue, but even when build properly, does it work?

Second option is buying a Barbecook smoker XL. Found a person who bought a lot of 16 smokers and is selling at 100 euro's each. Anyone with experience with it? (I feel like I'm backstabbing the TVWBB community, but it is an option, I'm sorry :( )

Thanks for the answers people!

Lot's of love, Floris

I hear you on the prices, but IMO, if you do a COMPLETE cleaning of the WSM after every use and store it indoors (garage/shed) it should last you years longer than leaving ti sit outside in the weather. By a "complete cleaning" I mean using soapy water and paper towels to wash out all the ash residue in the bottom bowl. This should keep corrosion to a minimum and extend its useful life.

I hear you on the prices, but IMO, if you do a COMPLETE cleaning of the WSM after every use and store it indoors (garage/shed) it should last you years longer than leaving ti sit outside in the weather. By a "complete cleaning" I mean using soapy water and paper towels to wash out all the ash residue in the bottom bowl. This should keep corrosion to a minimum and extend its useful life.

Problem is not that it's there, I use it for road trips, but I can use it for a mini UDS-WSM with some adjustments right? I'll post a design when I'm done with it, drawing it at the moment ;)

FxSzr9T.jpg

Cu9IMpp.jpg

Back