Genisis E330 Smoke

Phil T

Finally got delivery of a 2016 E330 April 8. It is the last floor model from a nearby Ace Hardware. Delivery was delayed because the Knobs and Manifold had been damaged by dragging it in and out of the door of the store and needed to be replaced.

Several people have said to assemble the grill yourself. This is true, I am in the process of reassembling the unit. Screws are missing from the gas line retainer and the shelf that holds the grease catch pan. The left wing was bent up at a 5 to 10 degree angle, the reinforcing brackets that take the place of washers were left off and the Stainless Steel shelf was bent and distorted. The ignition for the side burner does not work. The burner will light with a match. (any help on this)

I was aware the unit had been used as a demo for Weber Days so I knew it was not shiny new. All of the problems are being resolved. I enjoy rehabbing stuff and putting my own touch on them, always dragging home cars, boats, rvs. Overall it is a major cooking machine and has produced some good eats.

My impression is the overall quality of the 2016 vs. the 1996 Spirit it is replacing is poor. The old Spirit has given 21 years of service with replacement of grids and flavor bars. I still have it and am planning to do restoration of it and keep it. I doubt the 2016 will last anywhere near that long. The sheet metal on the cabinet and the s.s. shelves are cardboard thin.

Should have taken the money and rehabbed 2 or 3 old ones.

Phil T

sounds like a bit of a mess. at this point, why not return it if its had significant issues and you're unhappy with the product?
I don't know what terms you had when you bought it from ACE, but its worth a shot if you're that unhappy.
I doubt the grill will last 20 years... but the other grills in this pricepoint won't either anymore.

I am a bit of a perfectionist, I am not as unhappy with the grill itself as I am with the lack of pride in workmanship of the people who assembled the grill. The retail business world has been said to be in dire straits today with store closings going on every day. It is rare to find true customer service anymore.

I am a bit of a perfectionist, I am not as unhappy with the grill itself as I am with the lack of pride in workmanship of the people who assembled the grill. The retail business world has been said to be in dire straits today with store closings going on every day. It is rare to find true customer service anymore.

i hear you. Just keep in mind they're probably paying a kid minimum wage to assemble it, combine that with all the people "testing" or abusing the grill during the floor model time.... you may have issues. I can picture people putting all their weight on a side table to see how strong it is to test "quality"

On a side note, I was at an Weber Alliance dealer, and they were selling their floor model Summits and I was shocked at how banged up some of these were and its a small showroom, not part of a big box store. On the outside, they looked like they had a harder life than if someone owned it and used it.

Last edited:
Agree with you. @ 1/3 off the retail price it was worth couple of dollars worth of ss screws. Now on the hunt for an older gasser or 2 to resurect got to be something unusual

I worked at a big box store, as a second job, assembling all sorts of things, including literally hundreds of Weber grills. The pay wasn't great but I agreed to the wage to do a job. I took pride in the fact that in the three plus years I worked there that not one of my products went where I had extra parts. If I had an extra part at the end of the assembly I went back over every step until I found where I messed it. Not once did I have a complaint on my work. So, paying some kid minimum wage to assemble it does not sit well with me.

Sorry for the soapbox speech.

I put together an office chair for my Dad a few months ago. I got done and had three extra bolts. One of each of the three used on the chair. I did what you did and took it apart and redid everything very carefully and still couldn't find where the extra bolts went. I read the instructions front to back. I finally called the C/S number and they told me they were "spares". Well, damn, the instructions could have said that. The packing list listed how many bolts that were in the packs so I figured they were all used. No where did it say anything about spares. I should have been relieved, but I was more ****ed off than anything.

Years ago when was a technical trainer I used to go back into the lab from the classroom and drop a few extra bits where a pair of people were working. Results were quite funny

Back