Grilled Pizza

Ken Chapman

TVWBB Fan
I like to cook pizza on my Weber. I find that the Kettle Pizza insert works great for me, but there are a ton of different ways to grill pizza on a Weber. Do you ever make pizza at home and if so do you have any tips or tricks to share.

Thank you.

Ken,

I make pizza ALL THE TIME on the grill. With three teenagers in the house, pizza is big around our here. The key is using the impressive heat retained by a solid slab of stone to fill each pizza with light, doughy air pockets and to toast the bottom with a crackling, golden brown crust.

What You’ll Need
• A gas or charcoal grill (with a lid!) that accommodates a pizza stone. In many case you can set a pizza stone right on top of the grate of a gas grill, often in a metal frame that makes it easy to move the stone on and off the grill. Some charcoal grill grates have a hole in the center that fit a circular pizzas stone inside a frame.
• A pizza stone capable of handling temperatures up to 600°F without cracking.
• A rolling pin.
• A wood or metal pizza peel to slide your pizzas on and off the grill

Here are the steps:

1. Prepare your charcoal or gas grill for direct high heat and preheat the stone for at last 15 minutes. The temperature of the grill should rise to at least 500°F. Meanwhile roll the dough and get all your other ingredients ready.

2. Spread a light coating of flour over a large cutting board. Turn the ball of dough in the flour a few times so it is not so sticky. Flatten the dough into a disc and use a rolling pin to roll the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch. Start each roll near the middle of the dough and roll the pin toward the edge. Rotate the dough a quarter turn occasionally and flip the dough over once or twice to make sure it is not sticking.

3. Spread a light coating of flour on a pizza peel and slide the peel completely under the dough. Spread a thin layer of sauce almost all the way to the outer edge of the crust. Scatter the toppings evenly over the sauce and put the cheese on top. Keep in mind that each pizza will cook for 8 to 10 minutes, so don’t use any toppings (like raw meat) that would not be safe to eat after only 8 minutes of cooking.

4. Make sure the pizza can slide a little on the peel. Wiggle the peel back and forth. If any areas of the dough are sticking to the peel, lift them up and flick a large pinch of flour underneath. Then go immediately to the grill; otherwise the dough will soak up too much sauce and turn soggy.

5. Tilt the peel so that the pizza slides easily away from you and the edge of the crust lands near the part of the stone farthest from you. Then slowly pull the peel toward you and lay the rest of the pizza on the stone. Close the lid and let the pizza cook for 4 to 5 minutes.

6. After 4 to 5 minutes, open the lid and check the pizza. Slide the peel or a large spatula underneath and rotate the pizza a half turn before laying it back down on the stone. Close the lid and let the pizza finish cooking. You will know it is ready when the underside of the crust is golden brown in spots and the cheese is completely melted, 4 to 5 minutes more.

I hope that helps.

Jamie

One thing I do is take a large full chimney and when it gets about half way lit I dump it in the performer and spread the coals out. I then put the pizza stone on and let it heat up with the coals, that way there is much less thermo shock to the pizza stone and less chance of it cracking.

Rich,

I am really glad you mentioned that technique. If the stone is not hot enough, the dough just kinda bakes on there, and that's no way to get an awesome crust.

Thanks,
Jamie

Back