Works fine on USB, 12V not so much

Greg Fountaine

TVWBB Member
I hooked up the 12V power supply tonight and the unit powers on, it appears to go thru the boot sequence and then beeps, all lights flash off/on and it appears to reboot. Does this continuously.

Works fine on the USB power, had it up a couple days no issues. Any ideas?

Check to make sure power supply is correct, 12v 1+ amps(center is positive). Post a close up picture of the solder side of the board.

Yeah seems like you've got a short in the fan circuit somewhere as it powers up then attempts to turn the blower on in second #2. You can check for visible shorts across the big blower mosfet or check it with a multimeter to make sure none of the legs have continuity to each other. Also check the ethernet jack for bridging between the +12V and GND. There are a bunch of other possibilities, but a good going over visually and with a multimeter checking for shorts in the fan circuit will probably reveal something.

I had a similar issue with the blinking and resetting. Followed the advice here...

Steve_M: If the HM output is 0 ( fan off ) and it's still doing that, then it sounds like something's amiss with the wiring between the HM and the rotodamper. If it's happening when the blower is active, then I would assume your 12v power supply is under sized.

And it turned out that my 12v power supply (at 1a) was not enough power. Swapped out a 12v 3a supply and all was fine.

I had a similar issue with the blinking and resetting. Followed the advice here...

And it turned out that my 12v power supply (at 1a) was not enough power. Swapped out a 12v 3a supply and all was fine.

I had another 12V 1.5A power supply (from an old USB disk drive) and tried it out for grins and giggles and guess what? Works fine.

I bought this just for running the HM:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B006GEPUYA/tvwb-20

NKC 12VDC 1A Wall Adapter Power Supply LJY-186

Thanks for the reply Paul!

I am of the opinion that the suggested PS for the HM should be 1.5A or 2A, the 1A can fall short, particularly with these cheap units from china. I think a 2A unit costs pretty close to the 1A any way, seems to be a no brainer to buy the 2A unit...

Back