Sides for Dummies

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Jamie,

When it comes to grilling, sides are really my Achilles heal. My idea of a side is what I call a "side meat." For instance, if I cook a burger, then I might cook a side sausage. Typically my wife handles sides, or I might throw a bag of steamed veggies in the microwave.

What are some good, simple ideas for side dishes, maybe more along the vegetable line, for a novice such as myself.

Thanks!

That's hilarious, Dustin. I love the side of sausage for a burger. Let me suggest a couple items from Weber's Greatest Hits that are just almost as as easy as grilling sausages. I have recipe for Corn on the Cob with Basil-Parmesan Butter. You lightly char the ears of husked over direct heat and brush them with softened butter mixed with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Simple and Sensational! You might also like Twice Grilled Potatoes. Just cook russet potatoes over direct medium heat for 30 minutes or so. Let them cool slightly. Then cut them in half, scoop out most of the flesh and mix it with sour cream, chopped ham, Gruyere cheese, and little mustard. Then you cook the potatoes halves (again) just until the cheese melts. Dynamite!

That's hilarious, Dustin. I love the side of sausage for a burger. Let me suggest a couple items from Weber's Greatest Hits that are just almost as as easy as grilling sausages. I have recipe for Corn on the Cob with Basil-Parmesan Butter. You lightly char the ears of husked over direct heat and brush them with softened butter mixed with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Simple and Sensational! You might also like Twice Grilled Potatoes. Just cook russet potatoes over direct medium heat for 30 minutes or so. Let them cool slightly. Then cut them in half, scoop out most of the flesh and mix it with sour cream, chopped ham, Gruyere cheese, and little mustard. Then you cook the potatoes halves (again) just until the cheese melts. Dynamite!

Wow! Great ideas! Thanks for sharing, Jamie!

My go-to side is roasted potatoes and carrots. Wash some potatoes like you'll bake them, but cut them into chunks. Then mix them with some baby carrots, toss them in some olive oil, then sprinkle on seasoning (my wife loves the Weber Roasted Garlic & Herb seasoning). Then just put them in a grill basket and stir them periodically while they cook.

Last night I tossed in a small can of sweet corn, and wow, that's definitely going to be a common feature in the future. It's nice and easy to make and will grill up right alongside meats.

Brussel sprouts in the cast iron skillet, hell just about anything in a cast iron skillet. Grilled cauliflower or try grilled romaine lettuce.

Back