What is your involvement in food styling and photography for your book?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Once you've got the book's recipes identified and tested, are you involved in the process of preparing and styling and photographing each recipe? I would think maybe so because I can imagine someone styling a burger or plating a dish in a way that you as the author did not intend.

Chis,

The styling and photographing of the recipes are some of my favorite parts of making the books. Yes, I am there at nearly every photo shoot. There is almost always a professional food stylist there to supply the ingredients, prep them, and present them for the camera, but I often have a clear vision for how I want the food to look, so I get in there and cook quite a bit. For example, in Weber's Greatest Hits there is a recipe for Championship Spareribs with Apple Barbecue Sauce. The food stylist had never smoked ribs for 5 to 6 hours and wasn't sure how to get them just right for the camera -- something that was really important to me -- so I cooked them from start to finish. Then I worked with the photographer to make sure they were lit well so you can see the gorgeous bark and caramelized bones. I really enjoy these aspects of book production and I know just enough about them to be dangerous.

Thanks,
Jamie

Back