What's in your backyard?

PhilP

TVWBB Member
Most of us here have something of a collection of grills- smoker, kettle, maybe a gasser as well. I'm wondering "Hey, he writes these grilling cookbooks, what does Jamie have at his disposal for cooking?" I'm also curious as to which ones (assuming you have more than one) you use for particular cooks and why (for example- does one particular grill see things like steaks more often, another getting veggies, etc.).

PhilP -- I've been working with Weber for nearly 20 years, so I've had nearly every grill and smoker that Weber has ever made in my backyard at some point. Today it looks like this: a brand new Genesis II, a Summit Charcoal Grill, a Summit Grill Center (gas), a Performer, a 22" kettle, both WSMs, a Q1200, and a Ranch. I know, it's a lot... What can I say? I love them all and have a had time letting them go. These days I've been using the Genesis II almost exclusively because of the insanely great burner system. Each burner has it's own igniter now, which means they light up every time without a doubt. The burners themselves have a new shape for improved heat distribution, so it's really a pleasure to "drive." It responds like a high performance car taking tight corners.

I'm curious. Which is your favorite Weber?

Thanks,
Jamie

My favorite might well be the Summit Charcoal. I'm still getting used to it, but it's as flexible a grill as they come. It will run low and slow for a long time, it will run hot and fast (had it up to near-thermonuclear last night for some steaks). I could live with JUST that grill, but I'm so used to using either it or my Performer and my Genesis at the same time, I wouldn't want to go back to having just one grill.

For me it depends on how I'm cooking.
Most of the time I'm using the Performer.
I've come to love my 26" for sides, because cooking indirect it holds 2 10" CI skillets or Dutch Ovens without burning the sides.
My 18" takes on the appetizer job, because I can fire it up early and have goodies coming off of it without opening the lids on the other grills.
My Smokey Joe mostly does the burgers and dog duty, or when we do something for lunch at work.
My gasser jumps into play when I'm making bread or if it's just so stupid cold that I don't want to mess with charcoal (not often)
My 6" Red display is used on my cook table to hold the salted Planters.
My boss just gave me an 18" blue Sam Adams that I'm thinking of lining and keeping beer and ice in it just to be cool.
Lastly the 18" WSM takes the load whenever I'm doing anything under 300`.
With that being said I can honestly justify all my grills.
My neighbors get a kick out of me, but always seem to show up when the chimney starter comes out.

Here's most of my lineup. The 18" was at work being used at the Veterans Center.
ry%3D480

Here’s my collection on Weber Street, plus the two gassers on the covered patio.
My favorites would be two of my Weber’s, the green genesis 1000 that I bought new in 1999 and restored and converted it to a 2000.
The other is the best chicken cooker on the planet. If you look at the picture of all the grills the second one down on the right looks like a standard 22 .5 silver kettle. It’s actually a gasser, which uses all Weber parts. It’s a Weber conversion kit # 8506 and it isn’t sold in the USA the only place I believe it to be sold is Australia.
Whole chickens come out with super crispy skin and very moist meat, best chicken I’ve ever had.
DSCN6153_zpsicl9ozlg.jpg

DSCN6157_zpssz4b3suy.jpg

DSCN6160_zpsjxofom4e.jpg

DSCN6162_zpsuacqvbxt.jpg

DSCN6164_zpscfx5o4bk.jpg

I will always love my Performer. It is the grill that made me a better griller. I wrote "Weber's Charcoal" based on that experience. Some of those recipes turned out so well that they are now in "Weber's Greatest Hits."

Here's my stable before the wife put her foot down. The redhead and Silver Smoker were in the garage.
6200847059_44f111d70e_z_d.jpg

Now, I just have the WSM, Performer, Genesis, a Smoke EZ, and a JJ. Favorite is my Performer.

Pat G: That red Genny is gorgeous! Has it ever been outside other than for that picture? Have you ever cooked on it? :p Really nice team you've got there - very well taken care of.

Pat G: That red Genny is gorgeous! Has it ever been outside other than for that picture? Have you ever cooked on it? :p Really nice team you've got there - very well taken care of.

Thanks Jim, I do take the cover off of the Genny and use her sometimes, that was a fun rehab project. The "Team" has been put together over the last 14 months so they are in great shape. I bought my first Weber in February of 2016, that was the Performer. I've been hooked ever since.

Thanks Jim, I do take the cover off of the Genny and use her sometimes, that was a fun rehab project. The "Team" has been put together over the last 14 months so they are in great shape. I bought my first Weber in February of 2016, that was the Performer. I've been hooked ever since.

I have to admit, Pat G is one of the most ambitious Weber BBQ owners, cooks, and posters on this forum, Bravo Pat.

Back