Upside down Blueberry polenta cake

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Grabbed this recipe from New York times. Made it Easter morning to take with us to breakfast. I have to say this was great! I cant wait until we have ripe raspberries. I can see using them in place of the blueberries and lemon zest in place of the orange zest. I used a parchment lined spring form pan.

Vegetable oil for greasing pan
1 ⅓ cup sugar, divided
3 cups blueberries
2 large eggs
Finely grated zest of 1 large orange
⅔ cup orange juice
⅔ cup olive oil (not extra virgin) or sunflower oil
½ cup regular or instant polenta
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line base and sides of a 9-inch-square cake pan with baking parchment, and grease the parchment. Sprinkle 1/3 cup sugar over base of pan, and cover evenly with blueberries.

In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, 1 cup sugar and orange zest. Whisk until pale and thick. Add orange juice and oil, and whisk until blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together polenta, flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, whisking until smooth. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for about 45 to 55 minutes, until golden brown and springy to the touch, and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake on a rack for about 5 minutes. Carefully invert cake onto a serving plate, and slowly peel off parchment paper. Serve warm or at room temperature.

33283807573_32332669b1_c.jpg

33283806073_86e9b88bbf_c.jpg

Over half the cake was gone after breakfast. By bedtime the rest was gone!!!

The polenta adds a nice texture and flavor.

I can see why it's gone, that looks great. Thanks for sharing the recipe I'll have Barb take a look see.

Case thanks for the recipe and I'm going to be doing this for Rich's BD on Friday. Awesome job.

Case, Nice Bake...
I'm all in on this Upside down Blueberry polenta cake, I sent this recipe to my neighbor Mimi...she's the baker in the neighborhood, hope she makes it next weekend.

Case, Nice Bake...
I'm all in on this Upside down Blueberry polenta cake, I sent this recipe to my neighbor Mimi...she's the baker in the neighborhood, hope she makes it next weekend.

I'm not a baker, my wife is.

But I made this. It's super simple!

The fruit part could be adjusted to. Peach Melba is one of my favorite pies, so once we have raspberries this summer...

Fantastic looking dessert Case. I've already tucked the recipe away. Going to give it a shot on my WSM. Blueberries are probably my favorite berry.

Dam Case you weren't kidding, that Upside down Blueberry polenta cake is off the charts good.
Mimi or I didn't have a 9"- square cake pan, so we made due with what we had.

In the oven. Yum.
vfkQkMhl.jpg

YlkobhIl.jpg

As you can see by my plate this is my second helping, defiantly will be making this again, thanks for sharing.

Case we used fresh Blueberries, never thought to use frozen ones? Wonder how that would turn out.

Dam Case you weren't kidding, that Upside down Blueberry polenta cake is off the charts good.
Mimi or I didn't have a 9"- square cake pan, so we made due with what we had.

In the oven. Yum.
vfkQkMhl.jpg

YlkobhIl.jpg

As you can see by my plate this is my second helping, defiantly will be making this again, thanks for sharing.

Case we used fresh Blueberries, never thought to use frozen ones? Wonder how that would turn out.

That looks great!

I used frozen berries for the one that I made. They work fine. We will be using fresh raspberries this summer when our plants start producing. I will use lemon zest for the cake.

Case

I go to a small Produce store every weekend and pick up stuff for the week, $1.99 for a 6oz package of blueberries ... not bad, but Mimi said why didn't you get the frozen ones?
Used orange zest and juice from their back yard orange tree.

Thanks again Case, it was tasty.

Fresh raspberries and lemon zest sound terrific.

Last edited:

Back