My HM stopped working

ThorS

TVWBB Member
I did about a dozen succesful cooks with my HM. My last time using it was just to roast some almonds. I noticed I was getting a lot of funny readings and it never really got things to the correct temperature.

I thought the problem was probes so I ordered new ones on Amazon then calibrated them yesterday. I took the HM out of the case because the meat probe would not read no matter which port I plugged it into. I figured out that the jack sticks too far into the port and if I pulled it out a smidge it would read fine. I guess now I have some extra probes.

I noticed that once in a while I would smell something electrical getting warm on the HM. As it runs out of the case I notice the screen board sags down and contacts one of the USB ports on the Raspberry Pi. I stuffed a wooden spoon inbetween (I was doing the calibration at the stove so it was right there, don't judge) so the screen board wouldn't make contact. Afterwards I put everything back in the case.

Today when I plugged in the HM to cook some ribs I plugged it in and the screen was blank. It would fire up at all. Took it out of the case and noticed the little tiny SM LED's on the Rpi wouldn't even light up. As I looked over the HM to see if there was something obvious I noticed the 5V power supply on the HM that powers the Rpi was very hot, like burn your finger hot. The yellow LED on the HM lit up briefly but now I don't get anything.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Is it possible to just replace the powersupply? Could it have fried everything? Do I need to start over and build a whole new one? How and what do I test next?

Bumping this so hopefully I can get a response. Let me know if I didn't describe what happened well enough or more information is needed.

It sounds like your RasPi might be cooked.

Power up the RasPi on it's own and see if it boots or not. If it gets super hot in the red square here, it's toast.

fNkr9QL.jpg

Back