10lbs=6hr cook time?

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Fired up my 22" WSM with 10 lbs/1/2 bag of Kingsford Blue, got 6 hrs of cook at time with temps 250-275..Had lava rocks in the water pan. Use the minion method, hot coals in the center.
Does that some about right?
Dan

The 22 is a pig on fuel IMO so with the lava rocks or any sink that sounds right.
An empty foiled pan will get you 275 without wasting extra charcoal on bringing it up to temp.

Tim

Hi So I would be better off with empty water pan, just foiled? Would I get a longer cook time?
Thanks Dan

Yes. My belief is that the meat you are cooking should be the ONLY heat sink, otherwise you're wasting charcoal.
Foil across the top of the pan leaving a slight, 1" or so, depression to act as a catch for any drippings. This leave an large empty space between the inside bottom of the pan and the foil. Stops the radiant heat from burning the drippings.

Yes. My belief is that the meat you are cooking should be the ONLY heat sink, otherwise you're wasting charcoal.
Foil across the top of the pan leaving a slight, 1" or so, depression to act as a catch for any drippings. This leave an large empty space between the inside bottom of the pan and the foil. Stops the radiant heat from burning the drippings.

Will give it a try next time. My thought was too used the lava rocks to keep temps even?
Thanks Dan

Back