Pull Pork - Last Night and This morning - Questions

Michael Hermanek

TVWBB Member
Hello all,

I put two pork butts on this past evening around 9:30 last night or so. I am using the digiQ DX 2 that I just bought so I can "set and forget". Since this is my first time, I decided to check the temp at a couple of intervals during the night. At 2:30, it was at a slightly elevated temperature then I put it (around 245 or so; I set it at 235). I went back to bed and really didn't think anything of it. I woke up around 530 to check on it again and my pit temp was around 194. I checked the charcoal situation and was almost gone. I had used the minion method for this cook and usually I have to refill around 9 in the morning or so with manually adjusting the vents. I was under the assumption that the digiQ DX2 would extend the amount time that charcoal can be used. I had to put more coals in to get it back up to temp and it is going strong now.

A couple of questions for everyone

1.) I used kingsford briquettes - do people have issue with the normal kingsford for extended smokes? 5-6 hours just doesn't seem very long
2.) Any thoughts around why the DigiQ DX2 overshot the temp - I put the gaskets on the door and around the rim of the top and middle section. Take note that I do still feed the pit and meat probes below the lid which may allow more air to get it causing the DigiQ to overshoot.

It did have a torrential downpour this morning which I am not sure had any impact on the situation. I would like to get some sleep during these smokes and am looking for a solution for an extended time.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

Don't have the digiq so this may or may not help:

I also use KB and with a 3/4 full ring, I rarely get more than 6 hr (others who use it get all night smokes so I don't know). I would guess with a full ring I'd get 10 hr??

Regarding the digiq AND KB, I can only guess that maybe you started with too many lit?? I usually use 12 or 13 in warmer weather to start. Takes about 45 min to an hour to get to 225.

Don't have the digiq so this may or may not help:

I also use KB and with a 3/4 full ring, I rarely get more than 6 hr (others who use it get all night smokes so I don't know). I would guess with a full ring I'd get 10 hr??

Regarding the digiq AND KB, I can only guess that maybe you started with too many lit?? I usually use 12 or 13 in warmer weather to start. Takes about 45 min to an hour to get to 225.

Thanks for the response back. I used about 20 lit briquettes to start to a full ring. It was a bit warmer last night so maybe too many. I will have to make a note of that for next time. Previous times, it is a hit or miss if it last until morning. I was never sure if it was something I did or inconsistency of Kingsford.

I am certainly no expert and I'm sure others with a little more experience will be able to offer some insights but I'm happy to share from what I have learned, mostly from this site. Are you sure you had the two vents without the blower completely closed? How wide open was the vent on the blower? Was there any wind and if so hard hard was it blowing? Where was your blower positioned relative to the wind's direction? Charcoal is only 1 half of your fuel source. The other half is oxygen. Excess air entering the chamber can cause an elevation in temp and increase in fuel consumption. I experienced something very similar yesterday cooking ribs. We had some wind gusts (which decided to start as soon as I got the cooker lit off) of 20-25 mph. I started my cook with 3/4 ring of KBB using minion with 20 lit. On your next cook watch where you position your blower and that other vents are closed.

I am certainly no expert and I'm sure others with a little more experience will be able to offer some insights but I'm happy to share from what I have learned, mostly from this site. Are you sure you had the two vents without the blower completely closed? How wide open was the vent on the blower? Was there any wind and if so hard hard was it blowing? Where was your blower positioned relative to the wind's direction? Charcoal is only 1 half of your fuel source. The other half is oxygen. Excess air entering the chamber can cause an elevation in temp and increase in fuel consumption. I experienced something very similar yesterday cooking ribs. We had some wind gusts (which decided to start as soon as I got the cooker lit off) of 20-25 mph. I started my cook with 3/4 ring of KBB using minion with 20 lit. On your next cook watch where you position your blower and that other vents are closed.

Both vents were completely closed. The blower was all the way open. Winds and rain were horrific last night. Not sure where the blower was positioned relative to the wind - I did not take that into consideration. I am wondering if the lid was not completely sealed which is why the temp on the Digiq went above the temp. At one point, it maintained well but could be the wind and rain blew it ajar slightly. I also feed the probes below the lid so that could also be it.

What is the suggested position of the blower relative to the winds?

First you only want the blower open about half way. I usually position mine so that it is down wind by just positioning it on the side opposite from which the wind is blowing.

First you only want the blower open about half way. I usually position mine so that it is down wind by just positioning it on the side opposite from which the wind is blowing.

With the coals I put in at 545, I actually did two things different,

1.) Made sure that my lid was on tight.
2.) Put the DigiQ at half way.

The fire is still holding steady at 235F and it has been about 6 hours. It looks like it was error on my part.

Sounds like you've got it dialed in Michael. It takes a few times using the DigiQ to learn how to adjust for your cookers nuances. The DigiQ actually does learn the pattern of your cooker and will adjust for factors like air temp, charcoal, vent position.

Back