Easter Sunday Ribs

Dan in Michigan

For Easter I am planning on doing ribs for the family. This will only be my 2nd cook on my 22" WSM I will be using both cooking grates and shooting for a tem of 275. My question is, what is the approximate temperature difference between the two cooking grates? Also, I will be using water in the water pan. Thanks all.

Last edited:
I don't have a 22.5. However, my 14.5 and 18.5 have only 10-20 degrees difference between the grates. When I wrap my ribs, I just switch their places to even out any possible cooking differences.

Keep on smoking,
Dale53:wsm:

I don't have a 22.5. However, my 14.5 and 18.5 have only 10-20 degrees difference between the grates. When I wrap my ribs, I just switch their places to even out any possible cooking differences.

Keep on smoking,
Dale53:wsm:
I do that too.

The distance between the top and bottom grates is about 9 inches. I modded my bottom grate with 4 threaded rods, washers, nuts and wing nuts so I can mount a 3rd grate in the middle. The wing nuts (on the rods) allow me to move the middle grate up and down (to compensate for thickness of the meat on the grate). It can also be removed when not in use. :)

Back