Fresh ham butt portion bone in

Claude M

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi folks, did a quick search and didn't find anything. I have one that's almost 9lbs that I'd like to cook on my 18" WSM. Any links or suggestions would be great. I'm thinking to cook it like a butt at about 225 for roughly 1-1.5 hours per lb., does that sound correct? Thanks!

Ya wanna pull it or slice it?
Fresh ham's I go at least 325 till a 175ish internal for slicing.
Give it a good marabrine for a few days b4 unless you want it to taste like pork roast.

Tim

Well, yes and no, it's fresh pork yes, but, I don't think you really want to treat it quite like a butt which is a completely different "design" the ham is less fatty internally so, the breakdown of connective tissue (as in a butt) does not happen. The fat is more "exterior" so bear that in mind. Are you injecting it? That might help keep it moist.
Gee, Tim, I kind of like the non hammy taste of a fresh ham treated like pork instead of either pulled pork or ham. I might do a rub over marinade. But, that's me. My brother does them from time to time and they kick serious tongue! Delicious, different, delightful!
Have a wonderful time!

Last edited:
OK just went up. Marinaded and injected (over night- mojo), rubbed with the "all purpose rub", apple and cherry chunks, K and red oak lump.
IMG_0441_zps3qluzqhe.jpg

IMG_0440_zpsvdmrhvhw.jpg

IMG_0443_zpsgfr16pfy.jpg

IMG_0444_zpslr3zwapk.jpg

If I don't post the results it's because I screwed it up terribly! Cheers!

WOW Tim that leg looks like it tasted incredibly good!

Well it's out, 3.5 hours for 145F. Wrapped it and stuck in the cooler until my guests arrive. Will followup with carving pics later. Thanks again guys, you pointed me in the right direction!

IMG_0445_zpsnxxrolos.jpg

Forgot to mention I took my butcher's knife to the skin. I wanted to get the mojo and rub in there. I might boil that skin, cut it into strips, dehydrate the pieces and then fry them. Let's see if I'm that ambitious though!

Last edited:
I had my doubts but in the end, it turned out better than expected. Not "hammy" moist and very tasty, not too smokey either.

IMG_0446_zpsxro3w1lp.jpg

IMG_0447_zpsvsle8vx8.jpg

IMG_0448_zpsak9jl0sg.jpg

Back