WSM Quality

Morrey Thomas

TVWBB Super Fan
Not new to the world of smokers, I do have a relatively new 22.5 WSM. I advanced from an ECB, to a small WSM, now to the big daddy WSM. I lived in a coastal enviromnment in SC, so my smaller smokers finally went the way of the rust pile due to salt water environment.
However, in my 20 years or so of smoker cooking, one would expect to see the qualilty of Weber's cookers/grills/smokers getting thinner or less quality materials. Granted, the handles are now made of plastic and not wood. BUT....the quality of my newest WSM is as good or better than any older model I have used.
It's a good thing in today's retail market to see items available that are of the same high quality standards we grew up with.
Weber.....you did us right. Plus, your customer service department and warranty policy is on target. Great job!

Tom;

Without a doubt, the WSM will outlast that Traeger. Not only that, the WSM is soooo much better in the aspect that meats cooked on it are so superior. The WSM produces amazing quality products!
I have a Traeger Lil Tex and the auger motor went out within 3 months. It was covered but I had to tear it all apart myself and spend a half day messing with it. I mentioned to my gf that I was going to smoke ribs on the Traeger while she was at work. Granted, the finished ribs looked awesome. However, they have almost no smokey taste at all. When she bit into a rib, she looked up and said, these are good ribs but I thought you were going to smoke them?
For my money....WSM RULES!

That's why I've got one, along with a otg, ots, and a little smokey joe. It's so nice to be able to say about the Webers: "They still make 'em like they used to!"

I only have had my wsm a couple of weeks,second smoke was baby backs....was told by my bride to smoke more-i did.now i am told i need to take the wsm to galveston as she rented a beach house labor day weekend-you guessed it,more baby backs on order....and also in october when her mom comes...more baby backs.Her comments are-over the top,don't let me eat any more i'm dieting you know.....i had to remind her that being an outdoorsman and meatcutter there are lots of good stuff to smoke other than baby backs.....i told you that the wsm had a reputation,i hope i don't have to cook baby backs for thanksgiving dear.I expect the wsm should be smoking a lot longer than the warranty...........thanks Weber!!

Big Rich;

She sounds like my bride....honey, cook me something good on the WSM this weekend. Darn, I forgot I am on a diet....what the heck, cook it anyway and we can diet again on Monday!
Introduce your bride to St Louis cut ribs from trimmed out spares. I do them the 3-1-1 method at about 225 degrees. 3 hours smoking, 1 hour in a sealed foil wrap, 1 hour back on smoker out of the foil. Melt in your mouth tender but wont just fall off the bone.
Congrats on your new WSM. It simply gets better with age!

Thanks Morrey!

I will try that,easy to remember recipe as well.Bought my dad a kettle back in the 90's,still cooking and looking darn good as well.I left a Weber kettle thinking my new offset was all i needed when i moved,think of it like shooting myself in the foot now.So rather than babysitting some other grill at a beach house,i can load up the wsm with fuel and grub i can hit the surf and not have to leave the fish biting cause i need to "babysit."give a man more time to fish....what a deal!-Richard

Back