The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Covering the water pan

I like Chris' suggestion of using ice to keep the temps down. Aggressive vent control and ice sounds like the way to go unless one can figure out a way to automatically keep the water pan filled in such a hot climate. It would make for an interesting project.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

TVWBB Super Fan
    What you need is a sealed water pan, some tubing, an old car radiator, an electric pump, and a temp controller. That way you can use the old radiator to cool off the water, and the temp controller to activate the liquid pump to circulate water in and out of the sealed water pan. Make it a closed loop system so you don't loose any water to steam.
    18.5 WSM. 22.5 OTS

Quote Originally Posted by JBooker View Post
    What you need is a sealed water pan, some tubing, an old car radiator, an electric pump, and a temp controller. That way you can use the old radiator to cool off the water, and the temp controller to activate the liquid pump to circulate water in and out of the sealed water pan. Make it a closed loop system so you don't loose any water to steam.
    Creative juices already at work!
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

TVWBB Fan
    Thanks all,
    I'll be doing some experimenting over time and keep you all posted.

Love the radiator/pump idea, but we have another problem here besides the temperature: our power supply is absolutely erratic !

TVWBB Super Fan
    Deep cycle battery and a solar panel.
    18.5 WSM. 22.5 OTS

Hello Anne
    I love this form because all the people here are so helpful. And you get so many different ideas to work with. I foil my pan all the time. Easy to me to keep temps steady and keep clean up a breeze. Now where I live it gets hot but not like where you live. I don't know if you tried but try foiling the pan fill the ring up full with un light charcoal and add 5 light fully gray briquettes. Also add you chunks of wood in at this time. Whatch temp rise and start shutting the vents down on the bottom. When temp are getting close to 190 to 200 put The meat on. I like to keep my temps as close as I can to 225 on the temp gauge on the bullet. At this point my vents are almost all the way closed except the top one. Temps for me stay steady for at least 10 to 12 hours depending on how windy it is out that day. Not on how hot it is out.
    I have done this method when temp in my Area were at 95+. So I hope this way give you an other option to try and help with your cooks to come.
    Vinny G
    WSM 18" / WSM 22" / 1983 Weber 22.5 Kettle / 2009 Performer / Genesis 2000

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    ...unless one can figure out a way to automatically keep the water pan filled...
    Years ago I had imagined a 2 liter bottle hanging upside down outside the cooker with a tube running down through a hole in the access door into the water pan. Water level drops and the bottle supplies fresh water to top off the pan. Never did it. And this was in the days before the silicone grommet...that would make access into the cooker much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    Years ago I had imagined a 2 liter bottle hanging upside down outside the cooker with a tube running down through a hole in the access door into the water pan. Water level drops and the bottle supplies fresh water to top off the pan. Never did it. And this was in the days before the silicone grommet...that would make access into the cooker much easier.
    Similar to a dog water dispenser, good idea! The bottle should be at the same level as the top of the water pan or a tad lower because water seeks it's own level.

Tim
    Last edited by timothy; Yesterday at 12:15 PM.
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

@ the op Anne. Have you ever thought of just rolling with it and cook at a higher temp? You can produce some killer BBQ in the 275-300deg or higher range with a foiled empty pan.
    I know I struggled with temp control until I learned that my WSM had a sweet spot of 275 ( with a empty foiled pan), and I could dial that in consistently whatever the weather or temps gave me.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Fan
    Thanks all,
    There's some fun ideas that came up.

I actually have no real problem controlling the temperature. The little WSM likes to sit at around 100-120 oC and I am pretty happy with that (that's 210 to 250 oF), with a waterpan.
    The water in the pan lasts about 4-6 hours, depending on the ambient temperature.
    It's getting a bit cooler now, so we'll see how long I can make it last.
    October and November are going to be the interesting months. Those are our summer months

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12