My waterproof / weatherproof case

Steve_M

TVWBB Guru
Finally got it done. I'd been sitting on the parts for a while as I wasn't happy with the way the HM 4.2 board and the RasPi A+ were sitting in it. With the narrower v4.3 board and the new super small RasPi Zero W, the electronics fit in the case a whole lot better.

All that's left to do is apply some silicone inside the case around the the openings of the TC and Food probe jacks.

Bring on the rain!

k1Bt4mk.jpg

hCOTLAT.jpg

3ortBqF.jpg

lrl07aj.jpg

E7Y4tSY.jpg

Lid open mode in the dark!

jMOLdIf.jpg

Last edited:
A little update on this project. It's been outside and plugged in 24/7 for about 9 months and has been pretty much problem free. I didn't even get around to adding silicone to the inside of the case.

The pins on both sides of the external RJ45 coupler I used ended up getting quite corroded recently. I discovered this on Christmas eve when I went to fire up the grill. No big deal as I was able to unplug the rj45 connector inside the case and connect my cable directly to the rj45 port on the HM board.

The big "lid open" button has also worked out really well, though I did press the button too long once and wound up triggering the Output Off mode. Being able to enable/disable that functionality would be handy.

So all I need to sort out is the rj45 connection problem. Something IP67 rated!

Last edited:
The big "lid open" button has also worked out really well, though I did press the button too long once and wound up triggering the Output Off mode. Being able to enable/disable that functionality would be handy.
Well just don't press the button for so long, man! I'd say that I could make it so the LED lights up immediately when entering lid mode, but that won't help the situation because the short press action is held off until we are sure there isn't going to be a long press. Either way you'd get the long press action with no intermediate indicator. I could add more LED triggers for PidMode=Auto PidMode=Manual and PidMode=Off, but that won't help either because you've only got the one LED.

I think it would help though if the LID trigger light didn't wait until the next PID loop to light up. At least then you'd be able to tell if your short press was successful?

I've been thinking about this and was wondering if it could be made so that if the HM is in Off mode the LED blinks?

No because you can't have 2 stimulus for the same LED. Sure I could make it so if the HM is off, then all the LEDs blink regardless of settings but that feels hacky to start adding special conditions that makes them not behave normally.

Doesn't it take a full second of the button pressed to switch to OFF mode? I was joking before but are you holding the button in a pressed position for a whole second to trigger lid mode? It triggers in like 50ms. You could put a second LED on the button line that lights up when your button is in a pressed position to let you know to let go before that LED is on for a second.

Box looks good!

I just bought a 12V 7ah battery to use in a plastic ammo box. That should keep everything clean. No chance of it getting rained on and with battery power I won't have to run an extension cord every time I want to cook.

Back