Basic BBQ chicken problem on 14.5

ChrisInhove

Well, I filled the grate with 2 loads of briquettes from the small starter, used boiling water in the pan, kept all the vents open .... and the wsm never got out of the "smoking" temperature zone.

At the 45 mins check, it was clear there was a problem, so I took the door off, and the temperature soared. Now concerned about over cooking, I replaced the door and checked the meat temperature again at 90mins, and the chicken was done at 120 mins.

It was utterly delicious, mind, although late. And fabulous cold in my sandwiches the following day, as well.

Sooo ....

For 1 hr chicken on the 14.5, do I need to leave out the water pan, leave off the door, or both?

Thanks!
Chris

Yep, I would leave out the waterpan for a quick chicken cook. I've also seen some folks on here leave the door off too to cook. Whatever works for you mate go for it.

If the chicken was that good keep doing the same things. Why change from a good thing?

Best way is to only change ONE thing and see what happens. First, I'd omit the water (but foil the water pan) but leave the door on. See how that goes. If not satisfactory, then still with the foiled pan, leave the door on BUT prop it open an inch or so (use a chunk of your smoking wood or a stick). Still no? Then leave the door off.

As you found, leaving the door off creates so much of a draft, it's easy to get away on you. Very difficult to slow the burn down once you've got the 'inferno" going.

Well, I filled the grate with 2 loads of briquettes from the small starter, used boiling water in the pan, kept all the vents open .... and the wsm never got out of the "smoking" temperature zone.

At the 45 mins check, it was clear there was a problem, so I took the door off, and the temperature soared. Now concerned about over cooking, I replaced the door and checked the meat temperature again at 90mins, and the chicken was done at 120 mins.

It was utterly delicious, mind, although late. And fabulous cold in my sandwiches the following day, as well.

Sooo ....

For 1 hr chicken on the 14.5, do I need to leave out the water pan, leave off the door, or both?

Thanks!
Chris
We're you following this recipe? http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken6.html Because it says to use a dry water pan. However, I vastly prefer this recipe http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html which requires you to remove the water pan completely.

We're you following this recipe? http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken6.html Because it says to use a dry water pan. However, I vastly prefer this recipe http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/chicken4.html which requires you to remove the water pan completely.

I clearly didn't read either of them properly! I'll certainly try the one without the pan .... It just seemed a little counterintuitive seeing how I've spent my gas-grilling career slavishly using indirect heat.

Thank you for all the advice!

When I first got my 14 I bought a clay saucer to put in the water pan just like I do on my 18. I could not get the temp up so I ditched the saucer and everything worked out fine after that. The last cook I did on it I wanted to see how many thighs I could fit on it because we take it camping with us and a couple of groups we camp with does Saturday night potlucks and I also wanted to cook without the water pan. Other than the thing smoking like a chimney with all of that chicken grease hitting the coals the cook turned out great, my wife thought the chicken was really good. If you are wondering 20 thighs will fill up both grates and the bottom grate chicken finished about 30 minutes before the top grate ones with all vents wide open.

Do which ever you prefer. I do vertical whole chickens with the water pan and the door propped open. What you can do is in the top of your door put two 1 1/2 to 2" machine screws with washers though the door. You want the screws to go on the inside and you need them to be low enough on the door that the nuts clear the opening of the kettle body. That way your door will still close and not have the nuts get between the door and body section.

Then you can put the door on upside down and use the screws as legs to prop the bottom, or (the upside down top) out and open.

A pal of mine put the water-pan on the diffuser/lower grate, then put the chicken in it on a poultry roaster. A full chimney of lit on the charcoal grate. No drippings in the charocal bowl.

Back