Weber Genesis II Crimson 4-Burner (48k BTU) LP Grill

Bill Elwell

TVWBB Pro
Does anyone know how Weber calculates cooking area?

I got this from the Lowe's spec chart for the Genesis II:

Primary Cooking Area (Sq. Inches): 646
Warming Rack Area (Sq. Inches): 198
Total Cooking Area (Sq. Inches): 844
Firebox Width (Inches): 26
Firebox Depth (Inches): 19

I ask because 26 X 19 = 494 sq inches, not 646. Right?

Maybe someone with the grill can post actual dimensions. The way you're calculating it seems right. However, If I were to guess those are the firebox dimensions of the 3 burner.

I agree something is amiss...LOL! I've only owned 4 burners and would not consider downsizing.

I went to Weber.com and downloaded the manual. I could not find the dimensions/specs in it. Odd.

EDIT: I went back to Lowe's (on-line) and checked the primary cooking area for the 3 burners...nope. So, being the curious one, I checked 2 burners. I found the 494 sq inches:

Primary Cooking Area (Sq. Inches) 380
Warming Rack Area (Sq. Inches) 114
Total Cooking Area (Sq. Inches) 494
Firebox Width (Inches) 21
Firebox Depth (Inches) 18

18 X 21 = 378 sq inches...which is close to the 380 listed.

Now I have to wonder how large the 4 burner one is.

I know the "simplest" way to find out would be to call them (and probably get someone who doesn't know anything) or just go there. Option 2 turns into a half to all day shopping spree for the wife since it's a 62 mile round trip to the nearest Lowe's. That's what I get for living out in farm country. But, I'll take it over sirens and crime any day of the week.

Last edited:
Just measure the size of the cooking grate or grates and the warming rack. You can get your answer.

Just measure the size of the cooking grate or grates and the warming rack. You can get your answer.

I did. That's the reason for the post. The area measurements given do not add up to the one provided for the 4 burner, but does for the 2 burner.

if going to the store is a difficult option in that it is a 3 hour trip... I'd call weber. They're nice and generally very knowledgeable.

Do you have another "local" dealer besides lowes? I'd consider calling them (then buying there)

if going to the store is a difficult option in that it is a 3 hour trip... I'd call weber. They're nice and generally very knowledgeable.

Do you have another "local" dealer besides lowes? I'd consider calling them (then buying there)

Good recommendation, thanks. This Lowe's, while not technically "geographically local" would be considered my local Lowe's.

I don't live in a "town". I live in a "village". The sign says our population is 1,000. We don't have traffic lights or fast food places. Depending on your route through "town", it's possible to drive straight through without coming to a stop sign. Hell, we only have 1 cop (the chief of police) and we all call him by his first name. And no, it's not Andy or Barney. :rolleyes: :) The next "town" (population 8000) is 8 miles away. From there it's another 20 miles to the Quad Cities (overall population over 200k) where Lowe's (and everything else) is located. I probably won't feel the need to go there for another couple of weeks if not months.

I appreciate you comments. Really.

You know, Lowes will have something available when you do get there, remember grilling isn't really work so, we all have to make it as fun as possible. I understand about a long cruise for something important, try finding a skin on pork belly around here! Closest I've found is an hour each way, not that I mind a country drive but, gee!
I think I told you I was born in Moline, and East of there is rather barren as I recall. So, the importance of trip and route planning is very clear to me.

You know, Lowes will have something available when you do get there, remember grilling isn't really work so, we all have to make it as fun as possible. I understand about a long cruise for something important, try finding a skin on pork belly around here! Closest I've found is an hour each way, not that I mind a country drive but, gee!
I think I told you I was born in Moline, and East of there is rather barren as I recall. So, the importance of trip and route planning is very clear to me.
Sure, I remember you mentioning that. I'm in Atkinson, 8 miles east of Geneseo and 17 miles from Kewanee. The next city south is Galva and that's 20 miles away. It's out in the middle nowhere, but I really like the peace and quiet. :)

4 Burner dimensions -- The main grid is definitely correct at 34x19

Cooking Grid Dimensions 34 X 19 Inches
Main Grilling Area 646 Sq. Inches
Secondary Grilling Area 198 Sq. Inches
Total Grilling Area 844 Sq. Inches

4 Burner dimensions -- The main grid is definitely correct at 34x19

Cooking Grid Dimensions 34 X 19 Inches
Main Grilling Area 646 Sq. Inches
Secondary Grilling Area 198 Sq. Inches
Total Grilling Area 844 Sq. Inches

Thanks, DanL. Much appreciated. "Someone", "somewhere", probably just did a cut and paste for the description/specs on the Lowe's site. There's a big difference between 34 X 19 and 26 X 19...like 152 sq inches.

Last edited:

Back