tips for smoking standing rib roast [prime rib]

Doug from FL

Hello-I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on smoking my first prime rib-have a WSM 14.5 - Just me and my wife. Hvw done 14 smokes of chicken-ribs-pork but and tenderloin. Want to smoke a prime rib-any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

I do mine slow and low with water in the pan. They don't take near as long since you typically take them to 125-135 depending upon how you like it done.

I take my chefs knife and stab in to the top fat cap, pull on the blade and poke a clove of garlic in the hole. I do the clear across the top side. Usually 3 rows about ever inch or two. The goal is to not go deep in the meat. You want the clove sitting just under the fat cap.

Then season the whole prime with Cavanders Greek seasoning. All sides and to the point the meat is green. Then get fresh rosemary strip the leaves off and crush them. Put the leaves on and wrap the prime with plastic wrap. Let it sit for a day or two in the fridge before smoking.

All done in the WSM with water and no searing. Smoked at 250-270 with water until an internal temp of 135. The cut meat is the first slice in and it gets a little rarer as you get twards the middle.

IMG_7070.jpg

IMG_7073.jpg

IMG_7090.jpg

IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

Back