First Rodeo with the DigiQ DX2 - cooking some baby back ribs

Michael Hermanek

TVWBB Member
All,

It has been awhile since I posted on here but decided to provide my thoughts thus far on the DigiQ DX2.

Price - Picked it up this past week for less than $200 (w/o tax and shipping) and thought it was a good price point for me.

Setup - really easy to setup. Took less than five minutes to attach the WSM adapter to the vent and put the tape on the subsequent vents.
Note: I did purchase BBQ gaskets to further insulate the door and the top and midsection of the smoker. I didn't do that as of yet but decided to brave it anyways to see how much leakage and temperature control actually happens without putting the gaskets on.

I used the standard method for light my coals. Once I emptied the chimney with lit coals and put it into the WSM, I attached the BBQ DigiQ to the adapter. It took about 10 to 15 minutes to get to temperature (and actually overshot it by 15 degrees prior to putting the meat in).

Once I put the meat in, the temperature dropped about 50 degrees. Just for the record, I put 4 full slabs of ribs in the smoker. It took roughly 40 minutes to get to the desire temperature (which in this case was 275 deg F).

After that, it has maintain the temperature at 275 deg F for roughly going on an hour now. If this works out like I'm thinking it is going to turn out, I will be a very happy camper. I will post pics after the smoke is done with further thoughts.

All,

It has been awhile since I posted on here but decided to provide my thoughts thus far on the DigiQ DX2.

Price - Picked it up this past week for less than $200 (w/o tax and shipping) and thought it was a good price point for me.

Setup - really easy to setup. Took less than five minutes to attach the WSM adapter to the vent and put the tape on the subsequent vents.
Note: I did purchase BBQ gaskets to further insulate the door and the top and midsection of the smoker. I didn't do that as of yet but decided to brave it anyways to see how much leakage and temperature control actually happens without putting the gaskets on.

I used the standard method for light my coals. Once I emptied the chimney with lit coals and put it into the WSM, I attached the BBQ DigiQ to the adapter. It took about 10 to 15 minutes to get to temperature (and actually overshot it by 15 degrees prior to putting the meat in).

Once I put the meat in, the temperature dropped about 50 degrees. Just for the record, I put 4 full slabs of ribs in the smoker. It took roughly 40 minutes to get to the desire temperature (which in this case was 275 deg F).

After that, it has maintain the temperature at 275 deg F for roughly going on an hour now. If this works out like I'm thinking it is going to turn out, I will be a very happy camper. I will post pics after the smoke is done with further thoughts.

Wanted to update everyone on the end of the cook...the DigiQ worked phenomonenally. It kept and was very satisfied with the performance. The ribs came out too done in my opinion. However, the wife really loved them. I prefer them falling off the bone and she prefers them a bit more firm. My skills at ribs still needs to be refined but really satisfied with the DigiQ.

I enjoy my DigiQ DX2 and the gasket kit a lot. It makes for a great "set it and forget it" operation. Hassle and worry-free, especially for long overnight cooks.

IMO, 275F is too high. Since getting the DX2 I don't smoke anything outside of the 225-250F range. At times prior, I have tried fast and hot, but was not as satisfied with the results.

I enjoy my DigiQ DX2 and the gasket kit a lot. It makes for a great "set it and forget it" operation. Hassle and worry-free, especially for long overnight cooks.

IMO, 275F is too high. Since getting the DX2 I don't smoke anything outside of the 225-250F range. At times prior, I have tried fast and hot, but was not as satisfied with the results.

I was following Harry Soo's recommendation on ribs this time around. Next time around, I will do it at the 225-250 range. The other thing that is kind of funny, I just heated some up this evening after getting done with the dentist, and it actually tasted better then when I pulled then out of the smoker.

I just put the gasket and I will be doing an overnight smoke this week with a couple of pork butts. I am very interested to see the results.

Thanks for the reply!

Back