WSM vent control

B Scullion

Hi All

I have a new; old style 18.5in WSM and have only three smokes under my belt, so a complete newbie.

All the forum/YouTube sites I have looked at, say to keep the top vent fully open and control the air flow from the bottom. When doing a long smoke (15+ hours) with Heat Beads charcoal, water pan full (warm water) and the minion method. I have to keep the bottom vents completely closed and control the top one, mostly half to almost closed during the whole smoke.

If I open up the top vent and try to control air flow from the bottom the temps skyrockets to 300+ F and stays there, even if the bottom vents are completely closed.

I am starting to think the door is leaking air which is feeding the coals. Not sure. Hope you can help.

Thanks!!!

They will run hotter the first few cooks before it starts to seal up with grease and whatnot, but yeah, the door was a no-go for me.

Fixed it with a Cajun Bandit door.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Mac - I nearly had a heart attack when i priced the Cajun Bandit door, Shipping & Handling alone to N.Ireland was $1000.00 :), I did have a good laugh . I think I will have to look at a Gasket / Heat Seal for the door.

James, what do you mean? That the middle section is seated right?

Some times there out of round, You can take measurements across the top and bottom you make sure it's the same distance all the way around.. Some times they need a slight gentle bear hug to get them back in shape.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Mac - I nearly had a heart attack when i priced the Cajun Bandit door, Shipping & Handling alone to N.Ireland was $1000.00 :), I did have a good laugh . I think I will have to look at a Gasket / Heat Seal for the door.

Crap! LOL I totally disregarded your location... That will work too. :)

I just installed

LavaLock 12 GREY High Performance BBQ gasket smoker seal SELF STICK ($18 on Amazon)

Worked great on door and top/middle connection. Very easy.

I just installed

LavaLock 12 GREY High Performance BBQ gasket smoker seal SELF STICK ($18 on Amazon)

Worked great on door and top/middle connection. Very easy.

Hi Ryan, did you install the gasket on the door or on the WSM itself (ie around the door hole)?

Hi Ryan, did you install the gasket on the door or on the WSM itself (ie around the door hole)?

On the inside of the door. Leave a small blank space on top middle to accommodate the thing you turn to open door.

Leave closed and locked for 24 hours before you cook. May take a little extra pull to open during 1st cook after, but that's about it. Seals in great.

You can often improve the door seal for free by carefully bending it to better match the curvature of the smoker.

Back