Lock washers

Not sure if you can find this locally or if it's worth it (due to shipping) to order, but this is what I use:

https://www.boltdepot.com/Two-way_reversible_lock_nuts_Stainless_steel_18-8.aspx

I have a great hardware store that stocks all kinds of SS fasteners. I've used these for a replacement damper. Snug the nut up to "just right" and it stays. If you're tightening the nut next to the porcelain coating, this nut allows you to use a fiber washer or a soft (brass) flat washer that won't dig into the finish.

Have used Nord-Locks on some very high vibration, large, and heavy, mechanical rock crushing equipment. They work extremely well! It would be overkill on the WSM and very well may crack the WSM's porcelain coating when torquing the nuts down.

A locking nut / jam nut might work.

Have you looked at what McFadden-Dale Hardware has in stock ?

I dunno. I had my 18 for like forever, and have wheels on my legs and never had to snug up any nuts or bolts.

Tim

Are you sure vibration is causing the initial loosing, rather than stretching of the bolt due to thermal expansion.

I use all stainless steel fasteners on all of my Weber equipment. For the legs on my WSM cookers, I use 1/4-20 x 3/4 phillips head machine screws with a fiber washer between the leg and the bowl, and a 1/4 inch lock washer ahead of a 1/4-20 acorn nut on the inside of the bowl. The acorn nuts provide a much better support for both the charcoal grate and a cooking grate possibly used on top for a small grill. (Especially useful on the 14.5) I get all of my hardware from Jamestown Distributors. Great pricing, quick service, and quality merchandise. Link: https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/main.do

Prior to assembly, I use a center punch on my bolt threads (1 place) and use vise grips to tighten. They don't ever come loose.

What Bob Bass says. Nord-Lock washers are the way to go. Use a drop of Loctite 263 (red) on the bolt threads also.

Last edited:
I've never heard of leg screws coming loosing on a WSM until now.

I assume you installed the washers correctly?

Back