CB Wheel and cylinder lock kit.

Looks great. I just put latches on mine last week that do the same thing and wish I had seen this first.

I received my kit tonight and will likely install this weekend. The build quality is outstanding. I'll post more when I know more.

Last edited:
I installed mine Friday and used my wsm yesterday. I'm sold on this kit.
Can you explain how the cylinder locks attach to each leg? Webpage says a single hole must be drilled, does the leg have to be removed first? Also, how does it tighten/loosen? There appears to be an oblong slot in the flange, does that create the "play" that allows the flange to move up enough to release of the cylinder without completely removing the flange from the leg?

What's cool about this latch solution, if I understand it correctly, is there's no hardware to install on the cylinder, just on each leg. No need to line-up latches on the bowl with catches on the cylinder.

Upper bolts are replaced with longer bolts that are supplied with kit. Only one hole per leg is drilled for caster assembly with supplied bit. Takes just a few minutes to install and it is worth it.

This is my review I posted on Facebook Monday night:

I just finished the installation of the Cajun Bandit wheel kit for the 22.5". I have to say it couldn't have been easier.

Pros:
-This is one of the easiest ways to get your smoker on wheels and secure the middle section.
-Minimal tools needed to install. You need a drill, 2 wrenches, and 2 screwdrivers, depending on your current hardware.
-No drilling on the smoker itself, only on the legs.
-Spot on instructions.
-The drill bit is included with the hardware.
-The holes on the casters lined up perfectly. Zero issues attaching them to the brackets.
-The wheels roll well over concrete.
-If you have the Unknown BBQ hinge, this does not affect the top heaviness and feels as stable as without casters.

Cons:
-The brackets are likely plasma cut and the edges feel sharp. I think they could give the edges a little TLC.
-The parts are somewhat oily from the factory. Your hands will get dirty.
-The tightening knobs are a shade small and I wish they did not have lock nuts in them to make tightening a bit easier. One or the other I guess, bigger knobs or no lock nut.
-The parts that hold the middle section do not actually touch the wide part of the smoker. They hold the section by inward pressure, not downward pressure. The hole is oblong, but is not long enough (in my opinion) See picture.
-The locking casters are hard to lock. I hope these loosen with use.

Notes:
-These add nearly 3 inches in height to your smoker. See picture.
-The brackets feel and look like they're not bent exactly straight, and after you get the first bolt in, you see that they are not, but it did not affect installation. Just eye ball it and get your hole started.
-It could have been helpful to include an extra of each bolt and a couple nuts for guys like me with fumble fingers. Thankfully I did not need any extra.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and I would recommend these if you're looking for a quick way to add wheels and secure the middle section on your WSM.

17966970_831830354529_7627578231595966840_o.jpg

17951612_831830419399_1384084695495149311_n.jpg

17991804_831830509219_4087869459217682427_n.jpg

I presume that it would fit an 18.5 as well, no?

The legs are a bit wider on the 22.5 than the 18.5, but since the mounting holes are centered, I assume the wheel brackets would fit.

However, my personal experience is that if you're going to move the smoker frequently (and if you're putting wheels on it, you probably are), you need some bracing between the bases of the legs. On my 18.5, I just drilled and put a wheel in the bottom of each leg and found that just the rolling around my patio, into & out of the storage shed, would lead to enough flexing that the leg hardware would loosen up a bit. On my 22.5, I went with a setup using steel angle like the one below. Another advantage of this is that you can easily use the cross-braces to push the WSM around (ie: with a foot) and as a grip when dumping ashes out.

yyang1-1024.jpg

Back