Weber Genesis LX series vs regular

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
First, I'll apologize for being all over the place and asking so many questions. Everyone's opinions have been helpful, I'm just a bit indecisive, its a decent amount of money, and I generally keep nice things for a long time (so I'm "stuck" with whatever I purchase for a while).

I was originally considering the SE410 Genesis II. It seems like the best bang for your buck. SS grates and bars, nice sized grilling area. Problem is, I'm looking in the showroom and see the LX S-440. I dismissed it before, its a lot more money. The features shouldn't justify that price difference...etc However, in person, it looks like a really sweet grill. Proportions look better with the taller grill. Side tables are bigger, there is a side burner. Lit knobs more BTUs and a nice looking cabinet. Very clean lines too. things feel a bit more substantial. The sales guy said that their weber rep told them that the tables and lid were 304 stainless on the LX models. I didn't have a magnet with me to verify. knocking on them they feel more substantial. Maybe thicker gauge? maybe my imagination?

Does anyone have any opinions on the LX series? more insight into any build quality differences?

Well I bought one last year mainly because mama said go ahead and I'm glad I did because now I'd be looking at $1000 because I want a color and in order to get color and stainless you have to start at the 4 burner

Only thing that I really envy is the open cart design

Well I bought one last year mainly because mama said go ahead and I'm glad I did because now I'd be looking at $1000 because I want a color and in order to get color and stainless you have to start at the 4 burner

Only thing that I really envy is the open cart design
I'm debating about the 2 below. Both stainless internals, but you get a lot of nice features on the LX model... at a significant increase in cost. Was wondering if there were material differences in quality between the 2 or if its my imagination and is basically lipstick and glitz.

pACE3-25259190enh-z7.jpg

pACE3-25259192enh-z7.jpg

Last edited:
I can't imagine there is a major difference, if any, in quality. It's just going to come down to features. It will be up to you and your grilling needs to justify the added features and their respective cost. Personally, I used the side burner on my Genesis Silver C a total of two times in 13 years of ownership. Lighted control knobs are neat and pretty, but I have a porch light. The btu output seems to be a bit higher on the LX model, don't know why that is. I like the cabinet better than an open shelf, but my grill sits on an uncovered patio.

If your patio is uncovered and the grill will be out in the elements I might think about getting the one with the open shelf. The reason is because those cabinets are moisture traps, just look at all the summits on here and even the older genesis models with cabinets that have rust problems inside the cabinet., just a thought. Also the steaks won't care if the knobs are lighted.:p

If your patio is uncovered and the grill will be out in the elements I might think about getting the one with the open shelf. The reason is because those cabinets are moisture traps, just look at all the summits on here and even the older genesis models with cabinets that have rust problems inside the cabinet., just a thought. Also the steaks won't care if the knobs are lighted.:p

you guys and inserting logic into this!

Yeah, that is the problem... there is very little in the performance difference between the two.. Some more BTUs on the LX, but not sure if that really has a meaningful difference. I like the look of the cabinet.. All thats in there on my current grill is the brush and my charcoal chimney. I like the look of the stainless. I like the idea of a side burner, but have no clue whether I'm going to use it. Lighted knobs are cool... I'm trying to justify why I should buy the LX, but really am coming up short. Was hoping for someone telling me the LX is made of melted unicorn horn or something that makes it magical!

Last edited:
If I were in the market for a new grill the top one with the black porcelain hood and the open cart would be my first choice. The porcelain is much easier to keep clean and the open cart is easier maintenance as well. I've looked at that model at Lowe's. It's a beauty IMO.

This may be off subject, since you are mainly concerned around grill performance, etc.
BUT, do you have dogs? I had a older Weber Silver with the open bottom, and no matter how diligent I was with
keeping eye out while away from grill and even when covered, she would sneak in and get to the grease tray.
It drove me batty. She even ripped the mounts down getting to it.
Anyways, food for thought.

The grease tray can fill with water in heavy rain if you don't have a cover. Then you have a greasy, watery mess under your grill on your patio.

Why not the Genesis ii LX E-440? You'd get the cabinet, stainless steel grate, save some money over the stainless lid version and not have to clean the lid as diligently as the stainless steel lid version.

I've been grilling for over 20 years and have NEVER used the side burners on any of my grills. It just may be just me, but I find them useless.

If I were in the market for a new grill the top one with the black porcelain hood and the open cart would be my first choice. The porcelain is much easier to keep clean and the open cart is easier maintenance as well. I've looked at that model at Lowe's. It's a beauty IMO.

This may be off subject, since you are mainly concerned around grill performance, etc.
BUT, do you have dogs? I had a older Weber Silver with the open bottom, and no matter how diligent I was with
keeping eye out while away from grill and even when covered, she would sneak in and get to the grease tray.
It drove me batty. She even ripped the mounts down getting to it.
Anyways, food for thought.

I have a dog. And she can be fairly mischievous. But fortunately she's never gotten into the grease tray on either of my webers both of which have the open cart. I hope I haven't jinxed myself!

I'm actually asking myself the same questions to replace an old Genesis C. Had been reading up on a Napoleon model too. [gasp] I know, Weber forum... :D

Re. Side burner, I love having the side burner and use them (have one on both my Genesis and my Summit 450) regularly and truly wish I could afford the one for my Wolf. If you deem something useless you will never find good ways to make use of it. I just used the one on my Summit a few days ago to use with my pressure cooker. It was a warmer day here and it allowed me to keep the steam outside while I was doing other things on the Summit. Just one example.
Nothing wrong with mentioning other brands/models here IMO or even busting Weber's chops over some of their bad decisions (like moving almost all their production to China, and other missteps). This is an informational forum first and not just a fanboy forum. Honestly when Weber hits a home run I am the first in line to say "attaboy" but I am not above giving them the bronx cheer when they deserve it. IMO "premium priced products should NEVER come from China" and flops like the kind they did to me deserve to be pointed out too.
On the same token however I am in the process of hunting down a housewarming grill present for my daughter and son in law. A Weber grill is on the top of my hunting list. But I can guarantee it will not be one of the ones from China. So sure it will be an older one I am sure I will do a refurb on prior to gifting it but unless I find another smoking good deal (like I did with my $150 Wolf) otherwise rest assured it will most likely be a Genesis (a REAL Genesis) or perhaps a Summit if I can score one

Back