Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: From Drab to Fab - Putting together a "How-To" Restoration Guide

Nice work!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

This is a really great resource, I will stick it to the top of the forum. Thanks for doing it, and I encourage people to do more compilations like this. Very helpful!

Yes, I have to give my notice of appreciation as well. Great How-To.

I just used some simple green and #0000 steel wool on a grill top. I was amazed how well it cleared all the dirt and grease, but the top seems to have whitish speckeling all over it...kind of like an oxidation. Also, it seems that the previous owner set some kind of round container on the top and it left rust marks. I am not sure if I can fully get rid of them with the steel wool and simple green. Is there anything else I dare try? What about a coarser steel wool? The looks looks otherwise amazingly good after the simple green and #0000 steel wool.

Has anyone scrubbed the firebox interior down to the metal? Can I still paint it with Rustoleum or will it peel?
    Last edited by Pat B in VA; 06-07-2017 at 05:50 AM.

Go to post #28 in this thread. And no, do not pain the inside of the firebox.

I'm new to this. How do I go to post #28? Thank you. Also, now that I scrubbed the firebox down to the metal, what are my options. Can I use it or must I buy a new firebox?
    Last edited by Pat B in VA; 06-07-2017 at 06:35 AM.

Pat, I am sorry, I meant to say Post #28 in this thread: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?704...e-street/page3

However, I have come to learn that that is a NEW firebox and not one that has been stripped down to bare metal. Bare metal inside the firebox is fine, but outside, you want to use a High heat paint. Rustoleum High Heat (1200 degrees) paint works great.

Hi Bruce, No it is an used grill I purchased and stripped all the grease out of the firebox down to the bare metal - the fire box and lid. The grill I will purchase a replacement. The outside is like new - did not touch it. I can send you a picture if necessary.

I believe you Pat. Great job, but don't paint the inside of the lid or fire box.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast