Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My 26" Performer

Robert-R.. skills to pays the bills, enjoying the 26er build.

Weber would be smart to make a 26er gas assist Performer, price wise less than the Summit Charcoal grill, but still affordable for us mere mortals.
    Bacon....the duct tape of the Gods.

TIG, MIG welder?

Lookin' good, Robert, and I like your homemade work table too.

I used to run a CNC burn table myself (in a weld shop), so I am familiar with a lot of what you're doing. I especially like the way you slitted the square tubing so it could be formed into a radius.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    TIG, MIG welder?

Lookin' good, Robert, and I like your homemade work table too.

I used to run a CNC burn table myself (in a weld shop), so I am familiar with a lot of what you're doing. I especially like the way you slitted the square tubing so it could be formed into a radius.
    Thanks, Rusty

I have a Miller 212 that I love dearly. However, would like to learn TIG. The new inverter based multi-process machines interest me. Doubt I'll get one though. Blue & Red want some serious dollars & I won't buy a Chinese welder (got burned on a Chinese plasma cutter).

That had to have been fun running a burn table. I want one. But again... could not justify the cost. Making stuff is a hobby, I'm pretty much self trained & also old. Little desire to turn things into a business. I don't mind projects taking longer. For me, the trade off between labor vs time/money usually ends with labor winning.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    Wait till ChuckO sees this beauty, excellent job Robert.
    Amen Jeff! Fantastic job Robert. I'll bring my 26 and come down the next Padres / Giants game
    85 78

Quote Originally Posted by Robert-R View Post
    Thanks, Rusty

I have a Miller 212 that I love dearly. However, would like to learn TIG. The new inverter based multi-process machines interest me. Doubt I'll get one though. Blue & Red want some serious dollars & I won't buy a Chinese welder (got burned on a Chinese plasma cutter).

You're welcome, Robert!

I had a mobile Hobart unit (60 amps - I think) with a hand torch. The machine shop made me a holder so I could mount the torch on the burn table. Later on, the Hobart was fitted with machine mount-only torch that made things much easier. I could burn up to 3/16" plate with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert-R View Post
    That had to have been fun running a burn table. I want one. But again... could not justify the cost. Making stuff is a hobby, I'm pretty much self trained & also old. Little desire to turn things into a business. I don't mind projects taking longer. For me, the trade off between labor vs time/money usually ends with labor winning.

A local burn table install / repair shop buys old machines and refits them with CNC controls (Burny). These machines can be sometimes be had for less than you think. When the US Navy shut down their facility in Charleston, SC, they sold a 40 foot burn table for $600.00! If I had a building, I'd like to have something that could handle up to a 10' plate.

My particular unit used Harris oxy/fuel (natural gas) torches. These are great for thicker metals. The heaviest I ever burned was 4" thick. The hardest part about cutting plate that size is the piercing part. The ramp-up / oxy turn-on speed had to be balanced to keep from clogging the torch tip.

I'm like you in the speed department. I want it right the first time, and I don't mind taking the extra time to do it.

Again, you did a great job.
    Last edited by Rusty James; 04-24-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Well.... the Performer XL is pretty much finished (almost). Got the hinged extension completed.

Need to workout the lid/cover for the burner (waiting for some ebay neodymium magnet discs to arrive) & paint.

A few pix to compare it to my Performer:

I really like this one (I'm sure Tim Allen would approve ):

Last edited by Robert-R; 04-24-2017 at 04:11 PM.
    18.5 & 14.5 WSMs, 26.5 XL, 22.5 Performer, JJ, SJ, Roti Rings, Stackers, Genesis 330, OKJ Highland & Al Pastor Cooker

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    What can I say, that is a work of engineering art. Amazing work Robert, truly amazing.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

TVWBB All-Star
    This what a preformer should look like, a little dress up on the welds, and a good coat of paint. As you said a few fine points, then some good food to show off the build.
    About the only thing that is missing is the mini bar. Robert a work of art, outstanding engineering, and craftsmanship.
    Congrats .

TVWBB Pro
    Gosh, and I was so proud of modding my ECB. Thanks a lot, Robert.
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers...and stuff

Never seen a side burner with so many orifices. I imagine one could fry a turkey on that burner.

Robert, are you concerned that the side table supports could pop loose if accidentally hit in an upwards motion? Maybe not, but it's just something that stuck out to me.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast