The handle on my performer gets hot.

David Jacob

TVWBB Member
I've used my new to me Performer twice now and noticed the handle gets very hot. Is there a way to protect it from the heat so I don't burn my hand?

Yea, don't use it ! Seriously, they will get hot. Thats why you use gloves. I have tough hands so I don't normally have problems but I also don't hold on for very long. Some like me say the wood handles don't get as hot as the plastic ones. They have shields now but I think it's more for not getting burned by the lid rather than keeping the handle cooler. But in the end, you are dealing with heat and just have to learn to deal with it in a safe way. We have all been burned and most likely will be burned again. Just pay attention.

Gloves my friend. I have two performers and it's hit or miss as to the heat on the handle, so I always have a pair of gloves or even an old oven mitt. If you use them all the time it becomes automatic.

I have heard but never tried them,but they say wood handles are cooler to the touch.
A guy on the Kettle Club makes some great looking ones in many colors and custom lettering also.

i was actually surprised by it. the handle on the wsm never got hot so i assumed the same when i got a new performer. boy was i wrong...

Remember that the WSM is running at maybe 300* or less, but the Performer is running at maybe 500* or more. Makes a big difference.

i was actually surprised by it. the handle on the wsm never got hot so i assumed the same when i got a new performer. boy was i wrong...

My wife was using my old kettle one night making dinner and the handle got hot and she dropped the lid onto the hook breaking the hook right off the inside of the lid. That was no fun and I never fixed it. I had to set the lid on the ground.

Back