To sell or not to sell

DBoerner

TVWBB Member
Looking for advice. Just picked up a used 22"WMS. I have a 18" WMS and was thinking about selling it. What are the pros and cons of having both besides fuel consumption? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Looking for advice. Just picked up a used 22"WMS. I have a 18" WMS and was thinking about selling it. What are the pros and cons of having both besides fuel consumption? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

I like my 22.5 better than my 18.5. It does use more fuel, but I like a nice combustible fire and charcoal is cheap when on sale like it is this weekend. I also like to do ribs and brisket a lot, so having the extra space is awesome.

If you lived close to me I would advise you to sell it to me. Since you are far away I would say keep it if you have the space. You can never have too many Weber's.

How many people do you normally cook for. If space is not a problem, it is always nice to have options.

Don't be in a rush to make the decision. Keep it for a while while you use the 22 to see if you occasionally would prefer to use the 18. Once you sell it, it is gone and no turning back (unless you buy another one). As long as you have it, you can always decide to sell it at a later date.

I own a 14.5 and 18.5 and I find myself using the 14.5 more. I would say sell it. The 22 can do everything the 18 can do and more obviously. Maybe keep an eye out on a 14 for your smaller cooks?

I own a 14.5 and 18.5 and I find myself using the 14.5 more. I would say sell it. The 22 can do everything the 18 can do and more obviously. Maybe keep an eye out on a 14 for your smaller cooks?

I have the same as Marcus and I use the 14.5 90+% of the time. With the 22 you have all the room you need, I would sell the 18.5 and get a 14.5 to replace it. The 14.5s are very efficient for smaller cooks like small pork butts, beef ribs etc.

I only have an 18 and am not super experienced, but I would think the play would be 14 and 22, or just an 18. I definitely feel like with my 18, that sometimes i feel like I'm wasting space, I could be fine with something smaller. In looking at them to purchase I found the 22 to be too large for my purposes. you can cook a lot on an 18, I don't get to smoke that often, I wonder sometimes if I should have gotten the 14.5, but figured that if I do a few bigger parties with smoked meat I'd want to have options.

If I were you, id do some 22 cooks to decide whether you like it or not. Like others said, don't be quick to sell, you won't be able to get it back

This is pretty interesting, I am trying to decide what size I really think will be best choice. My brother insists I should get a 22.5 but, it's just SO big! I'm just a little concerned that a 14.5 will not be quite enough for the usual six for family dinners with my wife's son, wife and the kids.
The kids are not infants and LOVE to eat, the ten year old is usually a bottomless pit! The older sister is not timid when it's something which really interests her! That's why I'm leaning towards the 18.5.
I will be driving to Pittsburgh next week, out on Monday back on Thursday. If you decide to shed the 18, shoot me a PM maybe we ca work something out.

This is pretty interesting, I am trying to decide what size I really think will be best choice. My brother insists I should get a 22.5 but, it's just SO big! I'm just a little concerned that a 14.5 will not be quite enough for the usual six for family dinners with my wife's son, wife and the kids.
The kids are not infants and LOVE to eat, the ten year old is usually a bottomless pit! The older sister is not timid when it's something which really interests her! That's why I'm leaning towards the 18.5.
I will be driving to Pittsburgh next week, out on Monday back on Thursday. If you decide to shed the 18, shoot me a PM maybe we ca work something out.

Tim, if you routinely have six to eight people the 14.5 would be a stretch. The 18.5 is a good compromise it will hold a lot more than the 14.5 and use a lot less fuel than a 22. Barb and I seldom have more than 5 or 6 people over so depending on what I'm making the 14.5 or 18.5 does really well.

See Rich, I really think we might be related! Those are the arguments I keep throwing back and forth in my head!!!
I think the 18.5 is the right one for me. Now, the waiting begins.
I have got to get out to Prescott! I was there for one day on our honeymoon and fell in love with the place, with you and Barb there, I know it must be a very pleasant part of the world!

Hey Tim,

I have the 18.5 and find that it is more than enough for our family of 4, so it should be fine for a family of 6. I went through the same dilemma last fall (22.5 vs 18.5) and chose the 18.5. More fuel efficient and plenty of space. Unless you're planning on doing, say 5-6 racks of ribs, the 18.5 should be fine for your needs.

Don't be in a rush to make the decision. Keep it for a while while you use the 22 to see if you occasionally would prefer to use the 18. Once you sell it, it is gone and no turning back (unless you buy another one). As long as you have it, you can always decide to sell it at a later date.

This is what I would do (assuming you have space to store them both to keep them in good shape). After awhile (a year) sell the one you don't use.

Personally, I think the 18 is all one needs, however, I can't deny that I'd like to lay some ribs out flat with plenty of room. Only the 22 does that.

Well, my wait apparently was not that long! I am meeting with Dave tomorrow on my way to Pittsburgh!
Price is right, timing will work out for both of us, YAY!

Thanks Rich, just picked it up, wasn't sure it would fit in the trunk of the Dodge,but, disassembled, fit just fine. All my travel stuff rode in the back seat so, now I have to wait until the weekend to touch the rascal off! I won't get home until Thursday evening and Friday, my band has a gig, so it looks like Saturday or Sunday for smokeville to be my backyards new nickname!
Thanks Dave! Guys, Dave drove about 40 minutes to save me some time for the pick up! I got to my destination only about half an hour later than I had expected (Even with a slightly later departure time). Dave, I hope all your smoke projects turn out beautifully! Thanks for meeting me!

Saturday, pork loin and a handful of chicken thighs on the 18, foiled pan, no water, apple smoke medium, minion method. Two hours in, steeled in at 250 very happily, light breeze to contend with but, minor adjustments to one bottom vent seem to keep things within 25 degrees one way or the other, keeping it down has been harder than I had expected but, it's not that tough if you don't get too loaded!

Tim you'll really like the 18 it can smoke up a load of grub...Some one on here posted with pictures of the 18 wsm doing 12 or 14 pork butts ... Had them butts standing up right right and there's there's another post showing 12 racks of ribs 6 on the top rack 6 on the bottom using a rib rack he had 4 in the rack and had the other 2 set of ribs setting on the outside of the rack

Back