Weber Genesis Gold Replacement Grates - which are recommended?

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
So I'm getting a new grill. My father is taking over my old Weber Genesis Gold. We're going to strip some of the newer parts off of his Silver, mainly the burners and flavorizer bars as those are only 2 years old on his, vs 12 on mine.

I was debating about buying new SS grates for him.

I know the top of the line replacement is the RCplanebuyer. I was hoping to spend a bit less than that. Honestly thinking more 7mm grates rather than the 9.5MM as his seem to be over $100. I'm sure his are worth it if that is what you're going for... but I was looking for a bit cheaper.

There seem to be any number of them on ebay and amazon in the $30-50 range. Anyone have any positive experiences with someone other than RCplanebuyer?

Mind 2 things about replacement grates. The thickness of the actual rod and the spacing between them. IMO 7MM are not worth the trouble. Too thin and too widely spaced. Takes all the pleasure out of grilling. Thinner and more delicate foods (i.e. fish) are a PIA to cook on el cheapo grates (BTW this is a MAJOR critique of mine with new Weber products). If you don't want to go for good SS grates than get the OEM Weber cast iron grates. They are your best compromise. Next best is the OEM stamped stainless grates. But, don't waste your $$$ on those cheap thin wire grates

The ones from "bbq parts" are a bit less expensive than the rcplaner grates. See below. I put these on my silver A. I have the rcplaner ones on my genesis 1000. The rcplaner are absolutely top of the line but the bbq parts solid stainless grates are very good.

Whatever you get beware of grates that are too cheap that are advertised as stainless. They are often just coated in stainless and aren't solid stainless steel. Those won't last very long.

http://www.bbqparts.com/silverb.htm

The ones from "bbq parts" are a bit less expensive than the rcplaner grates. See below. I put these on my silver A. I have the rcplaner ones on my genesis 1000. The rcplaner are absolutely top of the line but the bbq parts solid stainless grates are very good.

Whatever you get beware of grates that are too cheap that are advertised as stainless. They are often just coated in stainless and aren't solid stainless steel. Those won't last very long.

http://www.bbqparts.com/silverb.htm

Thanks. those look more in line with what I was looking to spend for this. Have you had them for a while to tell if they are the real deal and not coated?

Thanks. those look more in line with what I was looking to spend for this. Have you had them for a while to tell if they are the real deal and not coated?

Yes I've had them about a year. Definitely solid high grade stainless. They should last a long time and perform well. The rods just aren't as thick as the ones rcplanebuyer makes.

Just to be clear, are you looking at this set CG48 Stainless Steel Rod Cook Grid Set. Set of 2. Made in USA. P/N CG48 which is $89.99 ??? Or this set Aftermarket Stainless Steel Cook Grid Set For Weber P/N 7527-AM for $39.99. If the latter, I'm pretty sure those are the stamped grates, not steel rod.

Just to be clear, are you looking at this set CG48 Stainless Steel Rod Cook Grid Set. Set of 2. Made in USA. P/N CG48 which is $89.99 ??? Or this set Aftermarket Stainless Steel Cook Grid Set For Weber P/N 7527-AM for $39.99. If the latter, I'm pretty sure those are the stamped grates, not steel rod.

Ok, I'm an idiot, I missed that the ones were stamped and just assumed the 39.99 were the ones he was talking about. Looking at it again, I'm assuming he had the CG48 ones, which are a more significant investment.

ugh, decisions. I'm going to look at the grates I have and decide whether its worth it to replace. I currently have the stamped variety and they're "fine".

Back