Dark bark

Matt Mills

TVWBB Member
The last time I cooked ribs, the outside on some of them were very dark. Didn't taste burned but they were a little over cooked. I did everything the same with spritzing, rub, and foiling except I put them meat side down during foiling and chose not to soak my wood chunks. My question is what caused this. Was it the unsoaked wood, foiling meat side down, or something else that caused this? Maybe too much brown sugar during foiling? Thank ypu for any suggestions.

The last time I cooked ribs, the outside on some of them were very dark. Didn't taste burned but they were a little over cooked. I did everything the same with spritzing, rub, and foiling except I put them meat side down during foiling and chose not to soak my wood chunks. My question is what caused this. Was it the unsoaked wood, foiling meat side down, or something else that caused this? Maybe too much brown sugar during foiling? Thank ypu for any suggestions.

Nothing you listed should have caused this at all. I'd think something else is in play especially if you wrapped them. What temp did you cook them out and when did you wrap? Did you have dirty smoke? I've had them get a little crispy at high temps. You might just try wrapping earlier if you don't like the color.

Well, if they were close to the edges, yeah I could see that happening....Just the edges/ends of the ribs though.

Just curious, any sugar in your rub?

Most of the cook was around 225-250 according to the gauge on the smoker and total time was about 5 hours. I usually wrap when the bark gets set which is anywhere from 2 to 2.5 hours then cook them wrapped until they hit 190. Could have been fluctuating temps. I cook loin back ribs and they are usually thicker on one end. I will have to give it a try again see how they come out.

Well I know the guage on the smoker can be way off. So maybe you just overcooked them. I've gotten some ribs really dark at higher temps that still tasted ok.

The taste was still good. I'm getting a temp control with an internal probe so that might help out. Thank you all for the suggestions and feedback.

Back